Old 08-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: firebrick conundrum. Help needed, not offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslock View Post
I bought heatstop from Kingston Block , I think it was called which is only a couple of minutes away. I too think I got the wrong fire brick - altho my oven works I dont think it holds heat as well as it should. Seems to me the floor gets cooler after I cook for a while but there may be other issues.

I got my firebrick from G&H in Greenville and they werent too helpful either.
It shouldn't have all that much to do with the brick type...it is quite unlikely that you would get the really high duty bricks from your average brickyard...all of our ovens lose heat to cooking foods but if you are well insulated you should be OK if you allow the oven to recover a bit before loading again...for instance with ours during retained heat baking the oven is loaded at a floor temperature of lets say 500F when the loaves are finished 22 to 25 minutes later the floor will have dropped to about 440F...we let the oven rest about 15 minutes then steam it which cools it a bit again but in about another 10 to 15 minutes it will be time for loading again and most of the floor will be back up in the neighborhood of 490 to 500...CanuckJim said it very well when he said that a WFO is something you work with rather than something you cook on or in...definitely more like a member of your staff than it is a piece of equipment
All the best!
Dutch
Old 08-07-2009, 03:02 AM
Apprentice

Kingston Block? That's where I got brick #2 above. Are you local? Can I see your oven? I'm in Saugerties. Brick #1 is from Nelsen in Saugerties.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:12 AM
Apprentice

I recently purchased firebrick from a masonry supply shop in New Haven, CT. I think I checked all of the masonry supply shops in CT and they all seem to carry low duty firebrick (buff and red). Some offered #1 size and others only offered #2. I ended up going with #1 size (buff) for $1.25 each. One thing all these suppliers and bricks had in common was the manufacturer - Whiteacre Greer. Their website carried the MSDS and I attached it below. I'm not sure if their product is the best quality or the most appropriate for a pizza oven but it was all that I can find in my area. One complaint I have is that the bricks seem to chip so easily! You look at them the wrong way and a corner chips off!

Goo luck with your search and build.

Regards,
Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Firebrick Data Sheet Buff.pdf (115.4 KB, 173 views)

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
Old 08-07-2009, 05:42 AM
Peasant

My oven is in Durham , on the way to Windham. I am only there on weekends , if we could work it out you could swing by. Maybe could time it for lunch. I still havent finished the outside - have been too busy making pizza and quite tired of moving rocks.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Apprentice

Wesslock: Durham is a stone's throw away (I get met from Heather Ridge in Preston Hollow when they come to the farmer's market here). Yes, I'd love to see the oven especially since it is incomplete. Weekends are fine with me. Email me kim@hearth2hearth.com and maybe we can arrange something. Thank you!!

pizza_bob: Thanks for the MSDS. This shows the alumina/silica ratio to be about what I understand to be what we need - roughly a 30% alumina.

Thanks,
Kim
Old 08-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Apprentice

ok, next question: I have a friend who works with brick and he says he can get me brick which are 4" x 9" x 2.5" weighs exactly 5# and cost about .75 ea.That weight seems low to me. Here's his email to me, "These are real firebrick that we use in commercial boilers that has a flame of about 2400 degrees plus. It's the same fire brick used in wood stoves except in the stoves they use a split brick (1" thick)" Any ideas, anyone? It would be great to save $$. Or is .35/brick not a huge savings?
Thanks all.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Apprentice

5# seems a bit light. Most firebricks are around 8# for that size, if I recall. At least mine are.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Apprentice

I agree it's light. The thing is, when I hear about heavy, medium and light duty, I have not heard what constitutes which as that I know the 8# is light duty, but what weights are medium and heavy for the same size brick.? I understand that for our purposes we can get away with light & medium and to avoid heavy duty. So I don't know the range of acceptability. If 8# is light duty, what are medium and heavy duty? Is heavy duty 4#? 3#? Would these 5# bricks be to light in weight and too heavy in duty? (That is one strange sounding question.)
Old 08-07-2009, 02:16 PM

They might be insulating firebricks used in kilns. Not suitable, if so. Higher duty firebricks are denser, harder, and heavier than low duty.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Apprentice

Heavy duty brick are heavier in weight? I thought it was the opposite. Most of what I think I've read seems to suggest that light duty=heavy weight; heavy duty=light weight. Which should mean that the brick of the same size weighing in at 8# is the light duty and that the brick weighing 5# is the heavy duty. But from your post here you suggest that the 5# being lighter in weight is the lighter duty brick and so would be the one I want. Which all seems about 100% opposite of all I've been reading. To clarify: 1. I am working under the assumption that for a Pompeii pizza oven I need light or medium duty brick and to avoid heavy duty. 2. As above, light duty = heavier weight;heavy duty = lighter weight. But now I'm confused. Where am I wrong?
Thanks