Old 04-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Can I sink my hearth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabrese View Post
if I switch the vermiculite and the FB board where I have the FB board on the bottom and and the vermiculite on the top will my thermal mass be more efficiant?
Thats a good question. I would think that since the vermiculite has portland in it, you would be adding a little more mass. I don't see any reason to use both though, unless you like adding more work to the project. I would just use the board and be done with it.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Finally started my pizza oven!

OK I have no more hearth height issues.
On your thread Les I noticed you have a pretty nice looking ashtray for a none smoker which leads me to my next question, "ASH SLOTS" I'm sure you thought about during your build? Why or why not? I would like to put one in put I haven't figured out away to safely keep it away from the wood underneath, don't get me wrong I'd like the excitment but not the headache.

Thanks again
Last question...........promise.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think the slots add more work and the payback would be nill. Some have done it, but at the end of the day, you only clean the thing after 2 or 3 fires. Even if I bake - the fire is out, so I just push the ashes to the side. May be a benefit of having a 42 inch oven.

Keep the questions coming, never a problem.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Peasant

I poured the hearth this past weekend as well the vermiculite cement mixure. I am totally exhausted.

Here are a few pics.

From what I understand I should leave it alone 7 to 10 days for curing, is that the norm?

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Finally started my pizza oven!-sdc10620.jpg   Finally started my pizza oven!-sdc10623.jpg   Finally started my pizza oven!-sdc10631.jpg  
Old 04-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Peasant

The weather up here in Mississauga has improved over the last couple of weeks. Days are about 60 degrees but it drops down to about freezing at night. My neighbour thought I was openning up the pool last week when he saw me taking out the solar blanket from the garage. I told him it was to insulate the hearth for the pizza oven at night. He told me I've lost it! I think it works great, with a small heater I have plugged inside the wood storage area I'm hitting temperatures of 70 degrees all the time. It's also great having longer days the sun sets just past 8 now, which means I can see! I got up early Saturday and Sunday and put in a good 11hrs each day, here are some pics on my progress, sorry I didn't take any of the floor I sorta got ahead of myself .
Attached Thumbnails
Finally started my pizza oven!-sdc10632.jpg   Finally started my pizza oven!-sdc10646.jpg   Finally started my pizza oven!-sdc10659.jpg   Finally started my pizza oven!-sdc10668.jpg   Finally started my pizza oven!-sdc10672.jpg  

Old 04-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Journeyman

Joe,
You are really making good progress, and even better, your work is very clean. You obviously know what your doing. Keep it up and keep the pic's coming as you progress.

Mark
Old 04-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Peasant

Thanks Mark

I've tried to keep it as clean as I can but the water and the green scrub pad isn't cutting it. I know the pictures don't show it, but it's not as clean as I'd like it to be. Those green scrub pads don't last long either. Is thier any other way or technique?

JOE
Old 04-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Apprentice

I'm 6'2" and my hearth is sitting at about 48". I went a little higher than most to keep from having to bend over all the time. I think 50" will work out great. By the way, awesome taper job on the bricks.I can see we have another perfectionist like Dino in our midst.
Greg

Click to see my Thread:

Click to see Google web album:

Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Laborer

This is great, I really like the way you have compensated for the angled opening of the vent-arch walls allowing for the front and back of the arch to remain parallel (at least I 'think' that's what you're doing) I couldn't figure out how that could be done, obviously some complicated cuts, but makes the rest of the job a bit easier.

great photos

Doug
Old 04-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Peasant

Thanks Greg, dropping the slab 3" and using 1" insulation board as opposed to 2" board helped. I don't know what I was thinking when I put up 5 coarses of 8" block for the shed. Maybe it was the thought of me crawling in there and hitting my head!,
On another note Chula Vista sounds like a wonderful place to live. We have friends in Fullerton which we try to visit every couple of years. California is one of our favorite places to vacation.

Doug, thats exactly what I'm trying to do, but its not that complicated, my inner and outer openings have a difference of 3 1/2" divide by 2 and taper that from front to back on your walls (1/8 to 1" 7/8 ) I would not start at O at the front. Then compound that by the same angle you used to start your entry arch. Its easy when you have a 10" sliding compound mitre
saw. the saddle cut you can do with a grinder, just make sure your at 90 degrees.

Joe
Mississauga, Ont