Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 04:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

Although my mobile oven walls are thinner, it has slightly more insulation so I guess the two alterations kind of cancel each other out.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Apprentice

A dome engulfed in a flame sounds hot, err, I mean cool.
From the 42Ē oven I initially planned on building, to a 36Ē oven which seemed the most viable option to now a 26-30Ē oven which seems most practical. Thanks to you Dave, Iím actually glad I didnít rush into things and be impulsive in starting to build an oven of large capacity as that would be a sitting duck due to its weight.

Now that I more or less know which direction I will be taking, I will do some prep work in terms of drawing the oven on paper and then create a list of materials required.

If you donít mind me asking, what is the thickness of your hearth, dome, ceramic blanket and ceramic boards?

I guess adding more insulation resolves the problem of heat loss due to thinner walls and thinner hearth.

Thanks and seasonal greetings.

Regards
OM
Old 01-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hearth thickness 75 mm aerated concrete, it also acts as insulation under the floor.
wall thickness 48 mm
insulation 77 mm vermiculite, no blanket
Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=david s;75686]If you increase the diameter by 20% you increase the dome volume by 99% with a subsequent increase in fuel consumption,weight, building time etc.

I ran over the maths a little more carefully and actually a 25% increase in diam. gives you a96% increase in volume of the dome, but if you assume that the wall thickness of the dome remains the same the n it would increase the volume of wall thickness (weight) by 53%) Hope my previous post was not too misleading.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Apprentice

Hi David

Thanks for the info though my reply is a bit late. I have been working tirelessly with Cad Artists to try and sketch the oven. I am trying cover every detail.

The dimensions I wish to use are as follows.

Oven Interior (Cooking Floor) - Width 28". Depth 28"
Oven Exterior (Dome) - Width 34". Depth 34". (This means the wall thickness of the dome will be 3")
Insulation - Width 4" Ceramic Blanket. Depth 4" Ceramic Blanket. I may add an inch of vermiculite insulating concrete.
Oven Landing - +- 2 Inches

Based upon the above I would require and stand with the following dimensions.

38 Inches Width X 40 Inches Depth

What's you thoughts?

With regards to the interior dome height, is there any calculation I should use. I'm thinking of going as low at 13 Inches above the cooking floor. The dome will not sit on the cooking floor but around it. If my cooking floor bricks are 2 Inches thick, I will have to make my dome height 15 inches so it caters for the 2 inches thick cooking floor.
Secondly, my understand of the dome height is that it should be for e.g 13" above the exact center of the cooking floor. Is there any rule with regard to the curve of the dome whereby maybe the cooking height should be equal from the centre, throghout the dome.

Thanks and regards
Old 01-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your plan sounds ok. I think 4" blanket is overkill, but you can't overdo the insulation. The form is usually a hemisphere and that is the best combustion chamber and also the best at re radiating the heat evenly although departure from the ideal will still work ok. Check out Joey Valderains oven. You can calculate the weight if you work out the volume of the hemisphere shell plus the floor, insulating slab, supporting slab, insulation, outer shell, flue entry, flue and door. It all adds up.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Apprentice

4" is overkill but I thought I would increase the insulation and decrease the wall thickness, basically cancelling each other out.

I've looked a Joey's oven and I'm gonna start reading through his thread from Page 1 as he is along the same lines as I want to be. Unfortunately I can't view any of his pictures. For some reason they are being blocked but once I sort out my PC, I will view them

I have attached a rough sketch of the proposed shape of the dome I wish to use on my oven. Do you think I'm in the right direction?

Thanks
Regard
OM
Attached Thumbnails
FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-dome-1.jpg   FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-dome-2.jpg   FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-dome3.jpg  

Last edited by Oven_Man; 01-08-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:18 AM
Apprentice

Hi David.

I dont know why, but I just have this 6th sense that's telling me to question the curve of my dome in my design. I am about finished with the sketch of my dome and will start making my mould which will then inturn lead to my cast.

I have attached a picture with the curve highlighted in red. Please advise on whether you think I have done it correctly or should I make any ammendments. I have attached the same picture in a previous post without the red highlights, in case the highlights are blocking some of the view.

I have also found the following website that has some mathematics on a Torispherical Dome, which I know isn't anywhere close to what we building but I thought that the mathematics is quite intersting though its gibbarish to me.
Torispherical Dome -- from Wolfram MathWorld

Really looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-dome-2.jpg  
Old 01-13-2010, 05:28 AM

I don't understand your drawing. The dome looks hemispherical to me, and the red lines don't seem to follow the curve of the dome. Could you clarify what you're asking?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Apprentice

Hi Dmun

The sketch I have shown is that which a CAD Designer had designed for me. My request to him was as follows.

" I want a dome that is 14 Inches high at the centre of the dome and 30" in diametre with the dome walls being 3 Inches thick. "

The red lines were not meant to follow the curve of the dome. I just used them as guidelines to point out the original curve of the dome that the CAD artist had designed.

You mentioned that my dome looks hemispherical. After researching a bit on hemispherical domes, it seems that my dome does look that way.

It took me a while to put what I need into words. My description was putrit to say the least but eventually the CAD artist and myself got somewhere. Now that he understands what I require, asking him to modify the dome sligtly wont be a problem.

Would mind guiding me in the right direction as to what sort of dome it should be? I'm sure if I can describe it to him, he should get it right.

Thanks