Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

If one would pursue constructing a well insulated oven, why not the same with the door to make a cohesive unit? Since no wood is impervious to heat and or fire, it would highly recommended and practical to insulate it, then you would be traditional in appearance and modern in substance.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
If one would pursue constructing a well insulated oven, why not the same with the door to make a cohesive unit? Since no wood is impervious to heat and or fire, it would highly recommended and practical to insulate it, then you would be traditional in appearance and modern in substance.
I totally agree. However finding a suitable material as an insulating panel that is both strong and insulating enough is difficult. It also needs to be made from a material that is safe unless it is totally encapsulated. This requires a lot more time and skill. One of the advantages of a wooden door is that they are easy and cheap to make.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 AM
Apprentice

Thanks.
I guess a 1.2mm thick stainless steel cut out in the shape of my entrance would work?

Now, just to find a company that does lazer cutting.
Is there any other way to cut the stainless steel in a arch shape with basic tools?

Thanks
OM
Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

stainless steel (especially thin stuff) warps considerably and easily, when heated. I don't think 1.2 mm is thick enough to prevent this. Make a cheap wooden one first.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
If the vermiculite is a bit crumbly it will wear away so you could render over it.
Hi David
I hope you well.

Just to back track a little, I decided not to wait for the Vermiculite at my entrance to wear off so I'm going to remove a tin layer from the vermiculite and then render over it. Just so we on the same page, when you say render, do you mean use the Sand:Lime:Portland mix that i used over my dome as the final layer?

I should note that when i use the oven, this patch of exposed vermiculite gets hot, very hot in fact that you cant touch it; would that pose a problem for the render or may shall i use some Refractory Cement to run over the vermiculite sealing it once an for all?

Thanks
Regards
OM
Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It should not reach 300C which is the temp that destroys the Portland cement. It will of course be subject to expansion and contraction, but it holds up pretty well. I rendered over aerated concrete (Hebel) on my mobile oven and it has held up well. It is about 5 years old now and copped a fair bit of abuse. I have repaired a few thin cracks that developed, but if you do it yourself then it's no hassle to do some repairs occasionally.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Apprentice

That sounds perfect. Today, I ripped out the patch of vermicrete and replaced it with render, hope it holds up to the heat.

Thanks a mill
Old 02-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi OM are you ready for fire with the beast yet?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 AM
Apprentice

Hi David

I haven't been able to get down to do anything these past few weekends - been doing some renovations at home but definitely in the next 2 to 3 weeks - lookout for the Pics and wish me luck.

Take Care and keep in touch
Regards
OM
Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 AM
Peasant

You are running into the same problem everyone faces with mobile ovens. The better you built them, the heavier they are , and the heavier they are , the better you need to build them.