Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

I presume you are talking about floor thickness. I used 3" thick firebrick for my first oven and it worked fine. You are probably better off with 2" but you use what you can get. If the floor is a little thicker than the dome it won't matter because the heat evens out with time and I'm sure you'd notice little difference. Get 'em.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Apprentice

Hi David

Yes, I am refering to the floor thickness.
Thanks for your advice, I'll preferably look for a 2" thick brick since you mention it would be better. Atleast i have the 3" to fall back on if I can't find 2".

I did phone 1 supplier and they stock 25mm and 38mm fire bricks. Would any of these 2 thicknesses work or is it too thin?

Regards
OM
Old 07-20-2011, 02:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You could do two layers of 25mm, but that doubles the number of pieces and that's not good for a trailerable oven. If it were me i'd prefer either the 3" or 2" thick bricks.
I was also thinking about your flue gallery and it would be easy enough to cast an elbow that could fit the gallery to get back to vertical. It will probably shift your flue pipe back, closer to the top of the dome and away from the front which might be an advantage.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:47 AM
Apprentice

Thanks David, stacking 1" bricks ontop of each other would be a problem and maybe a little expensive too. I did chat with a supplier who said he may be able to source some 2" bricks for me so hopefully he'd come through but he already has 3" so I'm not too worried if he can't source the 2".

Excellent idea about the flue gallery, I will pursue that avenue although i can see some issues locating an elbow since the flue was such a mission to source, i could only find pre-fabricated flues, no one could make me one to spec.
Worst case, I was thinking of re-designing the vent so it doesnt slant and will be straight including the flue pipe; its been a long windy road and i wouldn't want to make a mistake so far down the road since once the vent is in and the oven is completed, theres no going back like removing the vent and correcting it at that stage.

Thanks again for your priceless advice; always appreciated

Regards
OM
Old 09-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Apprentice

Hi Guys

My progress has been really slow as Ive been waiting for my table to be modified further and hopefully I would have it back any day now. In the interim Ive been thinking about the next part and how to approach it.

Ive decided to do the following and need some advice on whether Im heading in the right direction or do I need to rethink this.

Never the less, on the table (Picture attached in previous post) will be laid a Metal Sheet. The oven will sit dead center on the table and have a gap of approx 3 to 4 on all 4 sides of the table. I have the following plan. I will place just on top of the metal sheet a 50mm ceramic board. The board will cover the exact same area as the oven which means it will also leave the same 3 to 4 gap on all sides of the table. On top of the Ceramic Board will be laid 3 fire brick. The fire brick will not cover the entire area of the Ceramic Board, it will only cover the same area as the inner diameter of the oven which is 26. Never the less, around the Fire Brick but still keeping in line with the Ceramic Board, I would like to fill an insulating material to the height of the firebrick, maybe 3mm less than the very top of the brick so the brick will now only protrude by 3mm. Around the ceramic board/insulating material; I would like to fill the 3 to 4 gap with maybe Portland cement for structural strength of the table as a whole.

A few questions on what Ive mentioned above.

1) Can just an insulating material like Vermiculite be filled on top of the Ceramic Board and is it strong enough to hold the weight of the oven.
2) Will Portland cement be fine to fill in the gaps surrounding the oven and how will it fair to the little heat that comes from the oven indirectly?

The next part is to put the dome pieces on top of the Vermiculite and then join them. I plan to join them in the following way. First, plaster the bottom of the dome pieces with mortar and then fix it to the vermiculite. Next, once all the pieces are in place, I am already anticipating big gaps in between each piece as Ive already placed each piece next to each other to see how it looks and Ive also attached pictures to make it more visual.

Questions

1) Im already dreading the thought of hoisting these dome pieces onto the table. Any tips from you guys to avoid health problems ?
2) As can be seen in the pictures, the gap in between each piece is quite large so would mortar suffice to fill these gaps and at the same time create a bond with all the pieces?

Lastly, Im not too sure how my material is going but I may just run out of Refractory Cement for my vent. I may end up with extra vermiculite and mortar and I also have quite a lot of stone pieces from sieving refractory cement earlier in my project to get my cement more smooth so i could fill in the voids on my dome pieces. Anyways, if I were to mix all of this and top up with a little bit of Portland, would it be sufficient to build a vent or do I just go and grab a few bags of cement for the vent?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
Thanks
Regards
OM
Attached Thumbnails
FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-left-view.jpg   FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-back-view.jpg   FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-right-view.jpg  

Last edited by Oven_Man; 09-29-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

1) Can just an insulating material like Vermiculite be filled on top of the Ceramic Board and is it strong enough to hold the weight of the oven. Yes, but 50 mm calcium silicate board is enough insulation on its own. you can place the floor directly on it.
2) Will Portland cement be fine to fill in the gaps surrounding the oven and how will it fair to the little heat that comes from the oven indirectly? yes providing it does not contact the floor or the dome directly. that is there should be insulation separating them.

1) I’m already dreading the thought of hoisting these dome pieces onto the table. Any tips from you guys to avoid health problems  two or three people should be able to lift them ok as it is only a 24" oven
2) As can be seen in the pictures, the gap in between each piece is quite large so would mortar suffice to fill these gaps and at the same time create a bond with all the pieces? yes, use the homebrew mortar. If you can't get fireclay then use crushed sifted anthills

would it be sufficient to build a vent or do I just go and grab a few bags of cement for the vent? Use some more castable a Portland based castable will probably crack. You might get away with using homebrew to make a castable and add your leftover aggregate in place of (or as well as) sand in the mixture.
Good luck and get this thing fired up,
Dave
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 AM
Apprentice

Thanks so much David.
I can't wait to get this baby fired up, it's been overly due now .
Old 10-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Apprentice

Hi Guys

I was about to buy my Ceramic Fibre Board when my supplier told me he's out of stock so i started looking elsewhere only to find that my initial supplier was going to give me Cacium Silicate board instead of Ceramic Fibre Board but he never mentioned so. The only way i found out was when other suppliers gave me hefty prices for Ceramic Fibre Board and then they explained what could be the reason which my initial supplier confirmed.

Never the less, just want to check how well does this insulate heat compared to original Ceramic Fibre Board and would you suggest I go this route?
Also, will it withstand the weight of the oven on this board? (Sorry, i know this is a silly question i keep asking but i just cant imagine how a board like this will withstand a few 100 KG's but then again I've never seen or felt the board so hard to make assumptions)

Thanks
Regards
OM
Old 10-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Journeyman

Cal. Sil board is way firmer than fiber. Ceramic fiber board shouldnt be used under the oven in my ooinion. The plus is you save money.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Master Builder

Hi Johnny,

Why, shouldn't it? In your opinion?