Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

I still think a stainless steel sleeve, outside the galvanized flue pipe is better. It can remain in place permanently and the galvanized pipe will be a nice sliding fit. Any direct flame impingement on the galvanized flue will tend to hasten it's corrosion. When making you flue gallery you can keep the entry shallow by funneling. Think of a plastic funnel that you can squeeze its mouth into an oval shape. This way your gallery will still provide adequate volume down low without increasing your entry depth.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Apprentice

I understand what you mean with the Stainless Steel Sleeve, only problem is I won't be able to find one. How else can i make this collar?

Sorry, I'm being blonde once again but I'm failing to understand the part about funneling.
Here's another picture of the way I understand your comments. If possible, maybe you can interject on that picture and correct anything that seems a miss?

Thanks so much for all your patience and assistance.
Greatly appreciated
Regards
Attached Thumbnails
FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-vent3.jpg  
Old 06-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you can't get any stainless, then you could wrap some thin cardboard (about 1mm thick) around your flue pipe, cover that in thin plastic to ensure it releases ok and cast up to this. When you remove the pipe, discard the cardboard and you'll have a nice sliding fit, but it may wear the castable a bit sliding the pipe in and out.
Her are some pics of my flue gallery which explains how I've done mine and been able to achieve a shallow entry.
Attached Thumbnails
FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-p6160027.jpg   FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-p6160028.jpg   FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-p6160029.jpg   FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-p6160030.jpg  
Old 06-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here's how the flue fits the sleeve.
Attached Thumbnails
FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-p6160031.jpg   FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-p6160032.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 03:20 AM
Apprentice

Hi Guys

There has been a little progress with my Oven. My Oven Trolley has been completed but I've sent it back for a few more mods though it won't look much different than what's attached.

I'm jumping the gun a bit and couldn't help but think the next phase of this project i.e. Joining all the pieces together.
My plan is as follows but feel free to correct me if you find any flaw or forsee any problems.

1) I will be laying 2" of ceramic board ontop of the trolley. My concern is what will the ceramic board stick to, to hold it in place? Should i maybe place a layer of thin steel sheeting or can i lay the board directly on the trolley as you see the trolley in the pic.

2) Directly ontop of the ceramic board will be the Firebrick. I will smear some Mortar on the ceramic board and place the bricks. Will mortar hold onto the ceramic board or steel for that matter? Any other recommendations?

3) I've read that one should use Medium Duty Firebrick with atleast 38% alumina and +-2 to 2.5 inches thick. I did find a supplier but the thickness is 3" and feel it may be too thick and take too long to heat up. Am i correct in my thinking.

4) My dome will sit around the firebrick,covered with about 1/2" mortar and then wrapped with 2" ceramic blanket ontop of which 1" of perlite or whatever other insulating cement i can find ontop of which some stucco or paint, which ever is easier to find. I should also mention i will be strapping the dome down with steel belts to hold it in place. Any flaws in this thought?

Thanks guys
Again, please comment on my thought above and correct me if anything seems a miss.

By the way guys, i found this link http://fornobravo.com/commercial_piz...istorante.html in James thread about Oven Opening Size but it doesn't seem to work. I'd really like to see what james is talking about since I'm anticipating similar issues and this will be a perfect work around. Please let me know if you have an alternate link or maybe someone can post a picture here.

Regards
OM
Attached Thumbnails
FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven-table-complete.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If that were my stand I would be sending it back the fabricator and getting diagonals welded on, especially as you are planning to move it around in a vehicle or trailer. Ovens are heavy.
I think your 3" floor should be fine. My first oven had a 3" firebrick floor and it fired fine.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Apprentice

Hi David

That's one of the reasons i sent it back. I felt it needed to be streghntened more.

Can i lay my ceramic board directly over the top?
Will Mortar stick onto ceramic board?

Thanks
Regards
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Apprentice

I've been looking for Ceramic Blanket and it just struck me now that I'm not sure how much I need.
My oven dimenions again is a inner diameter of 24" and my dome is 3" thick. The ceramic blanket comes in rolls of 7Meters (Length) X 610MM (Breadth) X 50mm (Thickness). Would it be possible to wrap it around the oven more than once?

Thanks
Regards
Old 07-12-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Can i lay my ceramic board directly over the top?
Over the top of those thin cross slats? I wouldn't. Insulation has tremendous compressive strength, if you spread the load around, but a thin blade like cross bar will push right into (through?) it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Apprentice

Point Taken.

So I would guess I have 2 options.

1) Place a 3-5mm metal sheeting over the slats and place the FB ontop

2) Add a thin layer of concrete ontop of the slats and FB ontop.

What about the oven floor and dome; can I smear mortar directly over the FB and let the floor and dome sit directly ontop?

Thanks
Regards
OM