Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

I wrap a piece of the stainless around the flue pipe and secure it with wire so that it is a nice sliding fit. Then you can remove it and ffix your collar into the flue gallery.thrive

Last edited by david s; 06-07-2011 at 02:08 AM. Reason: iPad can't spell
Old 06-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Apprentice

Thanks, will keep that in mind when having the Flue Manufactured.

I just had another thought but don't know if it will quite work.
I'm thinking of making my Collar such that it Protrudes upwards by about 15CM.
At about 7CM I will fit in 2 Hand Winding Screws directly opposite each other. When I slot the Flue into the Collar, I will tighten the screws so it holds the Flue in place. My concern however is will smoke escape from the collar if there is a small gap. The smallest gap i can think of is +-3mm.

Thanks
Regards
Old 06-07-2011, 02:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine is a tighter fit than that. You might just be able to fit a playing card in the gap. It doesn't leak smoke.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Apprentice

Hi David

I've just called through an exhaustive list of Suppliers for the Flue Pipe and I'm shocked that no one has the size of 127mm. Its either they have sizes smaller than that, only going upto 100mm or they have sizes starting from 200mm, so its just my bad luck.

I did find a supplier who has 125mm Diameter (2mm Thick) Mild Steel Flue which is 1.2M high but I'm not happy with the price.

Is there any other Material I can use for the Flue? If there is, I can start looking for suppliers of that material because Steel Pipes in this size is like Gold on a mountain.

Thanks
Regards
Old 06-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Go to a local sheet metal worker. Any of them should be well experienced in making downpipes. Stainless steel is the best material to use.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:40 AM
Apprentice

Hi David

I've just gone through a dozen or more companies looking for pipes but my luck has just ran out. I went to see the company that i mentioned in previous message and the pipe they have is Mild Steel. You suggest i go that route?

The other option on the top of my head is i can get my hands on some Stainless Steel Sheeting and have someone who has good welding skills shape the sheet into 127mm tube and weld the seams which will result in a 127mm pipe.

I was thinking of also maybe using the idea above, but instead of shaping it in a Round tube, i could shape it in a Square Tube which to me seems easier to weld.

What's you thoughts?

Thanks
Regards

Last edited by Oven_Man; 06-10-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

They are usually not welded but rolled and joined by folds. Go to yor local sheet metal worker.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:46 AM
Apprentice

Hi David

Just wanted your advice.
I've managed to locate a supplier who stocks Galvanised Flue Pipes. Its 125mm Diameter, 1.2M in length and 0.6mm thickness at a fairly reasonable price.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks
Regards
OM
Old 06-15-2011, 05:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

if you use galvanized steel you will have to replace it in a couple of years. Stainless is more expensive but way better.If you make the flue removable then replacing it would be very easy, so maybe the galv. Is worth giving a go, if cost is a factor.

Last edited by david s; 06-15-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Apprentice

Hi again

You right, it would give me time to find the right flue for my oven so Galv. it would be.

I've just had another thought.
When I'm casting my Vent, I will make the Section For my Flue Pipe in the following way.

The very bottom section of the vent will have a hole 6". It will then gradually close of into a 5" Hole. The 5" hole will then protrude out at the top of the vent by about 2" upwards (The reason for this is so the flue will sit deep enough in the hole to hold in place without tilting). I will then line the 5" hole with Ceramic Blanket and then add on some vermiculite to seal the blanket in place. This way, the flue wont conduct as much heat as it would if it were in direct contact with the refractory material i will be using to cast and hopefully the flue will last a little longer.

In theory it sound right but what do you think?

Regards
OM