Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Finally closed my oven! (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/finally-closed-my-oven-7251.html)

Rodneyf 07-15-2009 11:24 PM

Finally closed my oven!

2 Attachment(s)
I finally closed the beast today!:D I finished the dome with two bricks that when put side by side made the shape of a cone with the top cut off. I forgot to take pics but when turned upside down the plug fitted neatly into the top of the dome. I did the whole dome without any formwork, I used a stick cut to 50cm and a piece of 3mm ply with a 25mm nail sticking up through the centre as my guide. The whole thing so far has taken me 6 mnths but the slow going has been worth it so far.
Now, how long do I wait before I start curing the beast? I am going to get the blanket on Monday and will wrap it just before I start to cure the oven.
It is my son's birthday on the 18/8 and I am wondering if it will be possible to cook a pizza by then.:D

My build so far
Picasa Web Albums - rodneyaf - Pizza oven

bimbo 07-16-2009 01:12 AM

Re: Finally closed my oven!

Awsome work, brick work looks really neat. I have just closed up my oven too and I know how exciting it is.
You should have no worries having pizzas by the 18th August.

I finished my dome on sunday and letting it sit for a week to fully cure then a week of fires. Planning on pizzas for my birthday which is the 24th July.

Cheers
James

Rodneyf 07-16-2009 05:16 AM

Do you think a week is long enough to set the mortar? What type of mortar did you use? There is only one supplier in Sydney (Field Furnace Refractories)
Field Furnace Refractories and I bought their mortar which is a dry mix that air dries but in these temperatures they recomend a 2 to 3 week setting period.

bimbo 07-16-2009 05:18 AM

I used the DIY fireclay mortar and from what i have read 1 week is enough but I am sure there are others who have used premix stuff might be able to give more insight.

Rodneyf 07-16-2009 05:38 AM

I was hoping to finish my entry arch tomorrow but it is pissing down right now and I have a feeling it aint gunna stop before Sunday. The only good thing is my water tanks will get a good top up.

Rodneyf 07-16-2009 10:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It turned out a good day after the rain and I have made a lot of progress on the arch. I still have to mortar in the bullnose brick course on the outside of the arch and build a chimney box but it is not far away now. In the pics you can see where the bullnose are going because I have a piece of one sitting there. I need some thoughts on how long I need to wait before I can start the curing fires.:D

zeek 07-26-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodneyf (Post 59817)
I finally closed the beast today!:D

My build so far
Picasa Web Albums - rodneyaf - Pizza oven

Great pics, that oven is shaping up fantastic!

Rodneyf 07-27-2009 02:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, I have done a little more and should be able to set the chimney in place next Saturday. I have nearly finished my arch now so things are moving along just fine.:D

Lars 07-27-2009 02:19 PM

Go Rodney.

Looks cool. I like those dark bricks with the rounded edges.

You may get some cracking when you fire it up. Don't worry, the solution usually makes itself evident. Make sure you post after the first couple of fires.

Lars.

geisen 07-27-2009 05:27 PM

Looking great. Closed mine up Saturday and started the external arch yesterday. what a great feeling. I also started mine in January so 6 months seems abourt right ;-).

I am going to let mine sit for 2-3 weeks before the first fire. I am afraid if I start cooking pizzas, I won't finish the outside; like many of our colleagues online here.