Old 07-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Serf

Default Re: Finally closed my oven!

Thanks for sharing the GREAT photos. I'm just at the 'dreaming of building a WFO' stage and appreciate all of the information shared at this site.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:43 AM
Apprentice

Stop dreaming and start building! You will find like all of us that the build is like a drug that you just can't stay away from. I like many have been seen outside in the middle of winter (not as cold as your winters but 3C is cold enough) with a miners light on cleaning mortar joints or measuring the angles for the next course. You will get hooked.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Apprentice

Well the day that I can say I have finished my brickwork has finally come. The chimney is in, the arch is done and all I need is to insulate before I start to cure. I spent all day on the golf course with my son today and it felt good to walk away from the oven knowing I have done the best I can. Only time will tell if it all works OK and does what it supposed to do.
The bricks I used came from a 90 yr old fence and I have had to clean the mortar from them before I could use them, so it has been quite a time consuming task to get to this point. I started this build on the 28th Dec 2008 and it has taken till today to finish the brickwork.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally closed my oven!-dscn0132.jpg   Finally closed my oven!-dscn0134.jpg   Finally closed my oven!-dscn0138.jpg   Finally closed my oven!-dscn0142.jpg  
Old 08-09-2009, 03:49 AM
Apprentice

I have spent all day on the back of a trowel spreading render and I think it is looking OK. I used a product called Silasec as a water proofing additive for the render but I am wondering if that will slow down the release of water/steam during curing process. I am also wondering if any Australians can give me some ideas on the type of flour that is available locally for use in the dough base.
Check out the build pics
Picasa Web Albums - rodneyaf - Pizza oven
Attached Thumbnails
Finally closed my oven!-dscn0149.jpg   Finally closed my oven!-dscn0150.jpg   Finally closed my oven!-dscn0153.jpg   Finally closed my oven!-dscn0159.jpg  
Old 08-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Apprentice

Rodney
Looks awesome. great job. your dome final coat is a great color and so even. Another one for the photo books.
Greg

Click to see my Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click to see Google web album:

Old 08-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Serf

Thanks for the inspiration. I am just starting the 2nd course of a low dome and it looks daunting. Yours has inspired me to be even more exact with my work.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Apprentice

That's great I hope you enjoy your build as much as I did but don't worry about being too exact as the only person that will know is you. I have a few joints that I think I could have done better but in the end the oven works and the pizzas taste great. In Australia we have a lot of BBQs and you usually find that the men hang around the BBQ and the women sit around talking, I found that with the oven everybody is at the oven looking in to try and watch the dough rise and the cheese bubble. Good luck!

Picasa Web Albums - rodneyaf - Pizza oven
Old 11-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Serf

Did you cut nd grind the bricks with the rounded edges yourself or did you get them already rounded off? It looks really good. Ive got a truckload of old red bricks that I was planning on using. But they dont look as dense as yours. Mine look like clay. They are probably around 60 years old New Zealand bricks. Not sure if they will be ok to use or not. I have about 50 second hand firebricks as well
Old 11-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Apprentice

That is how the "Bullnose" bricks come in Aus. The bricks I used were very dense and did not crumble at all, I think they were the ones closest to the fire during firing and that was 92 yrs ago.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Laborer

Great build Rodney.
What did you use to render the outer dome.
Did you use extra steel or just the mesh holding the insulation in?
Your rendered dome is one of the best ive seen and the bench top looks great.
Im curing mine at the moment, its had 36 hours on the smallest ring of a 3 ring burner, the dome is around 90 degrees at the top.
Well done again
Gregg