Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   FB Pompeii Oven Kit (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/fb-pompeii-oven-kit-6747.html)

james 05-07-2009 11:03 AM

FB Pompeii Oven Kit

NOTE: Any pricing or bill of goods referenced in this post is not considered binding or maintained. For current pricing or Bill of Goods, please refer to two links below for the on line store or contact a sales representative.

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Pompeii90-Oven-Kit.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Pomp...-Oven-Kit.html

We have been working with a large refractory manufacturer to put together a cost-effective Pompeii Oven “kit” for U.S. builders, and I think we have come up with a very good solution. The Forno Bravo Pompeii110 kit includes everything you need to build a 43.3” (110cm) oven, including the floor, dome, vent and insulation. It includes:

140 9”x4.5”x2.5” medium duty firebricks (38% alumina, 134 lb density)
20 12”x12”x2.5” floor tiles (38% alumina, 134 lb density)
165 lbs high temp, waterproof mortar (the new FB Mortar)
50 sq ft. 1” insulating blanket (FB Blanket)
3 24”x36”x2” insulating board (FB Board)

The target price is $800. Our product strategy was to meet or beat the best price you can find locally for every item in the kit, including $1.20 per firebrick, $50 for a 55lb bag of mortar, etc., so that the overall of cost of the kit is the lowest you can find.

The kit weighs roughly 2,000 lbs, and it fits on a single pallet. A liftgate delivery truck will set it on your driveway. We have done everything possible to keep shipping costs low, and we have come up with the following rates. I think the cost of the kit is competitive, even with shipping cost.

NorCal $100
SoCal $150
Northwest $250
Mountain States $300
Texas $350
Midwest $400
East coast $500

There are a number of advantages of going with a kit. You don’t have to do a lot of shopping looking for individual items, and you don’t have to worry about getting the wrong stuff. The 12”x12” floor tiles reduce the number of seams, are made from the same material and process as the dome firebricks, and they don’t increase the oven cost. And the high tech insulators work very well.

I am very interested in hearing what everybody thinks. My hope is that the kit will make it easier to build a Pompeii Oven, without taking away any of the fun.

James

Les 05-07-2009 11:18 AM

Re: FB Pompeii Oven Kit

It sounds like a great idea James. The price does sound good - I paid more than 1/2 of that for the brick alone. Now, if you can line up someone with a water jet cutter to do the wedge and taper (as an option) - you would be golden!

Les...

Modthyrth 05-07-2009 12:56 PM

Great idea! I would have loved an option like that, and think it's a brilliant addition to your lineup.

Dancing Bear 05-07-2009 01:59 PM

Love it!

Can't wait for my tax refund . . .

EADavis 05-07-2009 09:23 PM

James,
Like a number of neophytes to to this board, I have been mulling over my options. Prefab or modular options tend to be expensive, but easy to buy. Casting my own (leaning toward a geodesic-type design) would help the cost, but requires a lot of forethought and design. The Pompeii oven is cost-effective, but requires a lot of work, both to acquire all of the materials (and all of the "right" material), and to build it (the "fun" part, as you implied above). Relieving the buyer of the administrative part of the project (acquisition), to let them "just do it" is a great idea. And with a price point below $1K for all of the materials I can't run down to Lowe's or Home Depot to get makes it very attractive. So, when will it be available?
Ed

dmun 05-08-2009 04:06 AM

This is a great idea, and one i advocated years ago. You should ship a container load of the pallets to the UK and Australia too: Their silly refractory material prices should more than compensate for the additional shipping costs.

james 05-08-2009 08:29 AM

We have ordered all the materials, and they should be in our warehouse (California) in roughly 3 weeks. After that, they will always be in stock ready to ship.

And speaking of warehouses, we have taken on more space in our current business park. Those Modena ovens are big! :-)

Enjoy your Friday everyone.
James

traviselectronics@cox.net 05-09-2009 01:02 PM

James, how about a link to this kit on the web site, I cannot find it
Travis

james 05-09-2009 02:20 PM

We haven't formally introduced it! It's sort an insider thing for the forum. Next week, when we have solid arrival dates for all the materials, we will make a real introduction, spec sheets, etc., and we will add it to the FB Store and FB.com.

But the specs earlier in the thread are the real deal. If you are interested, send us an email at info at fornobravo dot com, and can we answer any other questions and add you to our list.

James

Ken524 05-09-2009 10:45 PM

James,

Your price looks really good, even with shipping. Being assured of getting the correct products to do the job is wonderful. No more hunting all over town, talking to brickyard secretaries that don't have a clue. Great idea!