Old 05-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Laborer

Default Re: FB Pompeii Oven Kit

James are these precut bricks and floor tiles? My local prick for those bricks are also $1.20 but if they are precut, or trapezoid cut, that would be a real advantage and a nice kit.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Laborer

James,
I think the kit is a great idea but, I'm not sure about the value in material cost as compared to my local prices. My local cost for the Bricks is also $1.20 and $80 for 80lb heat stop. The cost of the kit shipping would kill it for me in South Florida.
What would really get mt attention though would be if the BRICKs we PRECUT, especially trapezoid cuts for a nice tight fit. Then I think you'd have me even with the shipping cost.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Serf

Heck yeah!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Thanks guys,

Of course a kit with perfectly cut trapezoids would cost about $10,000. :-) $9,200 in labor and diamond blades! LOL.

To update everyone on the status, all the pieces for the Pompeii Kit will be arriving in 3-4 weeks and we have put together a list of people who are holding the first units.

Meanwhile, stay in touch with us by email if you are interested, and I will keep everyone up to date on the delivery status. Everything is looking good.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Laborer

James,

I didn't realize the cost on your end and I appreaciate your response and what you are doing for those with interest. I am still gathering information before my build.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey pzachef,

Just trying to be funny. Cutting all those bricks does take a lot of time, but a number of builders have done it. There are some great ovens and some great threads on that topic.

I think doing all the research and planning is a lot of fun.
Enjoy!
James

Old 05-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Serf

Or for those of us who never get off our kiesters and actually make cuts, planning is ALL the fun!

What you need to find is a smaller brick company who would be willing to cast and fire the proper shape bricks. Forget all this cutting, just cast real firebrick in the correct shape. You could probably standardize on four or so shapes and leave some fun for the top courses.

Now that's a kit!

If I hadn't already acquired a pile of old 12x15 firebrick out of an old factory that used steam for their power source, I'd be looking real solid at this offering.

James, I'm going to be in your neck of the woods to do some abalone diving next month. I'd love to come see some of your goodies...
Old 05-22-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
What you need to find is a smaller brick company who would be willing to cast and fire the proper shape bricks.
Once, I think it was on this forum, we had a representative of a firebrick manufacturer stop by, and I asked if they could make just two custom parts, an arch for over the door, and a plug for the top, out of fired refractory clay. He claimed to have shown my sketches to their engineers who claimed that it couldn't be economically done.

Good luck with getting the dozen or so custom shapes you would need for your various rings made.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Laborer

I suspect a better solution to the brick problem would be to cast rings with the proper interior bevel. If you are going to cast a coustom part you might as well make is much easier to work with than individual bricks. You could even make them with a interlocking channel such as you find in precast concrete manhole rings. My guess is that this would still be cost prohibitive as the casting blank is likely to be rather expensive.

Just my two cents.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Back to the second post of this thread. I think the ticket is a water jet laser - they work 24/7. I looked into it when I needed some porcelain cut - I recall they were looking for around $150.00/hour. As soft as these bricks are, I would think you could cut an oven in a few hours - I need to google. I think the benefit would be dry stacking the oven saving time and a butt load of mortar.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 05-22-2009 at 07:27 PM.