Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: FB Board Thickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1 View Post
The way the Pompeii is designed the dome and the floor gain temp at the same rate.
This issue of retained heat comes up a lot. The dome will get hotter faster and retain the heat longer (heat rises). The only way to recharged the hearth is to A: spread coals back across the floor, B: let the heat of the dome reflect back down. I have 4 inches of board under my brick and I can see the heat drop after a few pizza's. After a point, insulation doesn't help. It comes down to mass. If I could do it over again, I WOULD sit the bricks on the side. It will take more fuel, longer heat up time, but at the end of the day, we should be able to cook more pies (within reason) without the delay of thermal drop. This is just my opinion (and I respect it)

This whole forum has been a study of evolution - please, someone go to the edge and report.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Serf

I certainly agree that adding mass to the floor has downsides as well. It's better to defer to those who actually have experience with these ovens, as I do not

My suggestion was addressing the problem mentioned above through design modification. Likely it would be more practical to simply take advantage of Pompeii's presumably quick recycle time with the given floor.

Putting another two inches of non-masonry product under all that fancy brick work with so little to gain energy wise just makes me nervous!

If you do it, please report back. I'm extremely curious how close to the starting temp of your hearth you can stay, and whether or not you feel a difference in cooking.

Like many lurkers here, my engagement (in conversation) is the first step to building. While I don't have experience with WFO's, thermal transfer is my business (albeit in the opposite direction, making and keeping produce cold). I'm looking forward to building my own someday and apologize for any naivete I might bring to the conversation.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Apprentice

Arriflex
Welcome to the discussion. Experimentation is half the fun. Several of the WFOs out there that are focused on baking have a much larger thermal mass/thicker hearth, thicker walls. It all comes down to how much energy you want to burn to get the mass up to temp. It's a balancing test. The Pompeii design is balanced for a relatively quick fire-up with good heat retention. Good for home Pizza. If you want to go commercial, you would probably be willing to add fire-up time for better retention.
I depends on what you want. All I want is pizza and wine.

Click to see my Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click to see Google web album:

Old 04-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Apprentice

Les,
If I had my oven finished I would perhaps, experiment with this by laying a layer of splits on top of my existing floor. I just cut my floor today and started halving the rest of the firebrick. Support slab will be a week old Saturday. Now I know why those clever dogs sized the floor at 42" The compass just nicks the edges at 41.5"

Mark
Old 05-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arriflex View Post
In SteveP's example above where he suggests the bottom of his concrete hearth slab is right around that number, I am surprised his slab is offering basically 100% thermal conductivity. Unless his thermometer doesn't read higher than 1000 def F and the actual floor temp is much higher?
My IR thermometer only goes to 999F. Not sure how much above 999F the floor actually is.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Peasant

I am starting to build my dome also. I too have enough board to put 4” of insulation for the floor. And do not know if it will make that much of a difference?
The second is the floor bricks. To lay flat or on the side is the question? I will be cooking pizzas and roasting so do I need or just want the extra mass? Any other comments?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Serf

I am at the point of building my dome as well. I need to purchase my fb board asap. I don't have any isulation for under the dome, so also wanted to know if I should use two layer (4") of the fb board. Also, same page on the floor bricks; need to know if I should use two layers of firebrick or bricks on their side for improved heat retention. I am adding my wfo to an Italian deli, so it will be for commercial use. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!