Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Fabricated my insulated door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
my goal was to try and keep some of the heat from escaping out the chimney.
Thats the beauty of barrel ovens with the flue in the roof, close off the damper and retain the heat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Oh i had no idea.. So what would then be the point of the draft door? I guess to speed up the heating and enlarge the fire then, my goal was to try and keep some of the heat from escaping out the chimney. "Scratching head"!!!
Correct, The draft door enhances the flow of air to the bottom of the fire and I believe pushes the heat curve further back into the oven. It may not provide any more efficient burn because the fire will tend to burn hotter. There is some logic in it being able to reflect back radiant heat to the oven.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Thats the beauty of barrel ovens with the flue in the roof, close off the damper and retain the heat.
I hear yaa, unfortunately i cant benefit from that.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Correct, The draft door enhances the flow of air to the bottom of the fire and I believe pushes the heat curve further back into the oven. It may not provide any more efficient burn because the fire will tend to burn hotter. There is some logic in it being able to reflect back radiant heat to the oven.
I see, thanks for the info.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 PM
Laborer

V-wiz-

Sorry I did not mention earlier....I assumed you made your entrance the same way I did. I left two reveals in my entrance arch. One outside of the chimney and another inside the chimney. I use the firing door outside. That allowes the air to flow in the bottom and out the chimney. This does two things....1) reflects some of the heat that would escape out of the oven entrance back into the oven. 2) keeps smoke from coming out of the front of the oven (usually only need this at initial fire up). However, all is not lost....you can simply stand up your firing door without it being against a reveal....I do this sometimes when the door gets too hot.

I use the heat door (this is like a plug designed to hold the heat in after the fire is out). This one has to sit against the inner reveal and seal tight. Which means it is on the oven side of the chimney so no heat can escape.

Both are great doors but serve two different purposes. Hope that helps. Let me know if you want pics.....and don't be discouraged....your firing door will still work great.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Master Builder

Thanks for the tips. I will try it out next time i fire the oven