Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Fabricated my insulated door.

Just made a draft door.

Aluminum sheet about 4mm thick. Gate handle and Stainless Steel carriage bolts.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Master Builder

Im going to put this puppy to use tomorrow. Any advice? When do you put it on? at the beggining? or throughout the entire process? I am aware of the issues of overheating faster than normal so i will be cautious about that.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Peasant

be carefull with backdrauft where the fire comes out looking for your hair off your head .. once you take door down..keep low down keep out of way of it.. you might get away with it once twice maybe 100 times but watch out it will try get you
Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlovepizza View Post
be carefull with backdrauft where the fire comes out looking for your hair off your head .. once you take door down..keep low down keep out of way of it.. you might get away with it once twice maybe 100 times but watch out it will try get you

Even with a draft door with oxygen flow?
Old 07-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Laborer

V-wiz-

6 months ago I made the same two doors....both work great. I do not weld (wished that I did many times in this project)...so I had to rivit mine together. Anyway...I use my draft door when it is windy or at startup when it tends to be smoky. The draft door does get a lot hotter. Never had a problem with backdraft...seems to be a good flow of air so I'm not sure it will be an issue....but I am on alert now to watch for it. My heat door is only 2" thick and I have a wood outer door....have never felt any heat on it....

Your doors look great...nice job.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Master Builder

Thanks for the info
Old 07-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Master Builder

Update: i used the draft door, however unfortunately i didnt work. Once the door was placed the fire would die out. Is it because the opening is too small? Or is it because there is no exhaust/ opening at the top of the door for the air to escape? Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Update: i used the draft door, however unfortunately i didnt work. Once the door was placed the fire would die out. Is it because the opening is too small? Or is it because there is no exhaust/ opening at the top of the door for the air to escape? Any help would be appreciated
I have not built my own oven yet, but I believe the vent door is to be used on the outer opening of the oven so that it does not obstruct the venting of gases through the flue. How did you set up yours?

EDIT: helps to look at the pictures. Your door is placed in the inner arch, which I think prevents exhaust gases from venting.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Put the door half way in to the flue opening to allow for exhaust to escape.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:44 PM
Master Builder

Oh i had no idea.. So what would then be the point of the draft door? I guess to speed up the heating and enlarge the fire then, my goal was to try and keep some of the heat from escaping out the chimney. "Scratching head"!!!