Old 10-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Exterior Dome Construction

What, no photos? We are suckers for photos.

Sounds like you are well on your way. Looks like you've accomplished in one weekend what it took me 3 months to do!

More thermal mass is not necessarily great. It depends on what you are planning to use your oven for. If it is too thick, sure it will have more retained heat (eventually), but will take longer to heat up and use more firewood in the process. I think these big, thick, high mass ovens are best suited for commercial use where multiple bakes are planned, with daily firings.

Just my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:18 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Mfiore,

I took pics of every step along the way, I just didn't know if I shoyld post it to this thread or start another?

I read a bit more on thermal mass and you're probably right. I do plan on cooking just about anything I can fit in the door way but I'm sure pizzas, bread, and some type of meat over coals will be the most common.

Looks like a rainy day in sunny FL today and tomorrow but Saturday we are having a bitter cold front; all the way down to the 50's in the morning! Not sure what to do. Kidding, grew up in the beautiful city of Chicago, IL. Although I miss the people I absolutely do not miss the weather.

Knowing me I'll have a tarp up after work mixing cement and getting the hearth poored.

What do you think about the Vermiculite poor (or push I should say)? How long after I poor the cement for the hearth can I get that on?

Thank you again for the speedy reply!
Old 10-23-2008, 06:43 AM
Master Builder

Tell me about it. Cutting bricks in 30 degree weather is not fun.

I'm not sure about the vermiculite. I did not use it for my build, using a FB insulating board instead (it's worth looking into).

From what I've seen with other builds, there doesn't seem to be a need to wait. People have put the vermicu-crete down immediately after the concrete. They can cure at the same time.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:57 AM
Apprentice

Thanks again.

BTW, just previewed your photo album, great looking oven so far! I plan on having the same type of entry with the wider front. It will allow more people to see the fire while entertaining along with making it easier to get things in and out. Are you finished with your oven yet?

Also, how did you post your pictures? Did you post them as-you-went, or all at one time? Should I post them on this thread or start another?

Sorry for the thousand questions,
Old 10-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The major benefit of stacking the floor bricks on edge is increased mass. This will mean that you can in effect store more heat for more bakes in succession without refiring, but it also means that your firing times will be increased. If you plan to do multiple bakes, it's the way to go. If you want quicker heat ups for pizza, lay them flat.

Jim
Old 10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Jim,

If I were to have a pizza party with the expectation of cooking 20-30 pizzas would the extra mass be useful? Also if I was to cook a turkey or a hunk of beast would the extra mass be beneficial?

Thanks for the insight, this forum is great.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Apprentice

THE HEARTH IS POURED!!! I managed to get 27 80 lb bags of cement mixed and poured in an hour and a half. I have it covered ready for the HUGE amount of rain thats supposed to hit us in the next hour or so. Vermiculite going in late tomorrow night or early Saturday morning.

Whats a good amount of time to wait until I start on my floor? I have read so many build threads I'm seeing double.

Thanks everyone, and oh yeah....GO RAYS!!!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Give the vermicrete a week...it tends to hold its moisture a while and will be spongy for the first few days....don't worry, IT WILL set up and hold without problems, its just wierd stuff - like thick oatmeal.

RT
Old 10-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Apprentice

Thumbs up Re: Exterior Dome Construction

Thanks RT,

The Vermicrete mix went better than expected; maybe because it doesn't weigh 80 lbs like every other bag I seem to pick up. Since I have so much concrete left (more of those 80lb bastards) I decided to do the insulation just under the area of the floor but went out at least 4" past each side of the floor/wall edge and then I'll poor the rest to the edge with concrete.

With my tile contracting background it was difficult for me not to just treat the vermiculite like screed mud and pack the heck out of it but I didn't read anywhere that that would be a good thing. I would guess it may compress the vermiculite causing it to be more of a thermal mass than an insulator..... So I went with the oatmeal texture which by the way caused a very long discussion with me and my daughter around the proper consistency of oatmeal taking a good 30 minutes out of my build time but wouldn't pass up any time or conversation with her since, as she states, "I'm 15, you can actually learn something from me you know"... Lord help us

Today I'm going to do more work on my arch layout, too many ideas, trying not to reinvent the arch.

Thanks agaun RT,

BTW, what part of Tampa do you live in?
Old 10-26-2008, 07:26 AM
Apprentice

I have a question around the fire brick. Is there any reason I shouldn't use the cut edge to face in wards vs factory edge? My cut edge is sharp, clean, no crumbled edges, no saw blade marks,etc. The factory edges are somewhat less then desirable in a good percentage of them.

Thanks everyone,