Old 06-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Expansion question... is it a problem?

Hey Dave (asudavew),
Good idea putting the fine wire mesh around the dome for stability for a mobil oven or a mother-nature-earthquake-shake oven. I'll look thru other builds/posts to see if others have done it. If the metal mesh expands differently from the morter, cracking shouldn't be a problem cuz you can't see it anyway.
Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Journeyman

Chicken wire mesh and concrete doesn't last. Its good for the initial cure to prevent cracks but will rust away sooner than later. If you are worried about structural integrity then consider fiber reinforcement. It doesnt burn and it doesnt rust. Since you are going to cover this layer anyway it wont matter what it looks like, The fiber reinforced looks furry when finished.

No fiber in the joints just in the shell cover.

My 44" oven in progress...

Old 06-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Fiber sounds like a winning idea. Do you know if it's loose and mixed in with the high-temp mortar or is it in short width rolls that you lay strips of it on to the shell?
Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Journeyman

you can get it premixed or loose. Just make sure its NOT cellulose type. I have heard of people using fiberglass cloth or matting layer in concrete. First layer of mortar then cloth soaked in a slurry mix and applied then more mortar on top. You will have to look and see whats available in your area.

Now keep in mind that if you have a quake strong enough to damage this oven, you probably wont have a house to live in either. As far as making it quake proof I think it would be best to leave it as the design goes. The tougher you make it the harder it will fall. The idea behind loose joints gives flexibility in the structure. Structure able to flex makes it stronger. If the oven falls apart it will give you a reason to build it again. Besides by the time this happens you will have a thousand ideas on what you would have done differently anyway.

My 44" oven in progress...

Last edited by CajunKnight; 06-19-2008 at 09:43 AM.