Old 02-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Eric's WFO build

eprante,
I did mortar my arch base down, I can tell you I havent had any problems.. I also mortared my soldier course down.. Didnt have any problems with that either in over a year... IMHO either way is probably fine and its a matter of choice and what you feel more comfortable with..

Mark

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Journeyman

Thanks for the feedback Mark. I think I will mortar the base of the arch but probably not the bottom of the soldiers. Now it is on to a new skill to learn-mortaring bricks. Just about the time I get it down I will be done with it. I am loving this project.
Eric
Old 02-18-2010, 04:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Now it is on to a new skill to learn-mortaring bricks. Just about the time I get it down I will be done with it.
I had to learn too.... It was a lot of fun and I truly enjoyed it,,, and this summer I will already know how to lay brick when i build my outdoor fireplace or fire pit... havent decided yet but I'm leaning towards the fireplace
Cheers
Mark
Old 02-18-2010, 05:30 AM
Apprentice

Hi Eric

I also mortared in the first coarse only that my first coarse sat on the insulation rather than the firebrick floor.

Have you put much thought as to whether you will cut a splay off your soldier coarse or leave it square?

Looking forward to your build
Attached Thumbnails
Eric's WFO build-dsc03953.jpg  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:10 AM
Journeyman

John,
I think you are asking if my landing and exterior arch will flare outward. NO- the arch itself is intimidating enough to me, without having to increase its radius as I move toward the opening. Nice job on your oven.
Eric
Old 02-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Journeyman

Soldier course mortared together and first attempt at cutting arch bricks. The two passes necessary to cut the bricks makes it difficult to get good clean straight cuts. I 'll sleep on it and look at again to see if I can live with it.
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Eric's WFO build-img00097.jpg   Eric's WFO build-img00098.jpg  
Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can live with it. Charge forward, never look back, fix all mistakes with mortar!

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 02-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Journeyman

After a couple of glasses of wine I'm thinking I can live with it. It is the inside arch, and the outer arch cuts can be made in one pass. Nobody except the people on this blog are going to see the inner arch unless they stick their heads in the oven opening( not likely according to sjmeff).

I'll see how I feel about it this week. Thanks for the encouragement.
\
Eric
Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Journeyman

Inner arch completed.
After a dismal failure on the first attempt, the second try was successful. The first time I didn't pay close attention to the size of the gaps and hadn't marked the form so when we got to the top there was only room for a 3/4" keystone. The addition of the radial arm ( my father in laws idea) to keep everything lined up as we went and it went together easy-breezy. That feels good!!
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Eric's WFO build-img00100.jpg   Eric's WFO build-img00101.jpg  
Old 02-27-2010, 12:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I love that. It's exactly like the indispensible tool, except for arches instead of domes. As this forum steadily archives these ideas, future oven builders will have an easier and easier challenge.

WFO Webpage:

Thread: