Old 05-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Eric's WFO build

Well I got the lower arch completed and the adobe veneer on the front. The amazing thing is that it actually looks like the picture I had in my mind ( at least it is amazing to me). Now to the prep area and mosaic of the dome.
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Eric's WFO build-img00198.jpg  
Old 07-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Apprentice

Eric
look great. I am already jealous of what the mosaic is going to look like. It really is my favorite of all the designs. I just don't have it in me to go that bold. When can we get together for my bread baking lesson? ;-)

Click to see my Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click to see Google web album:

Old 07-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Journeyman

Ready for the tile counter and sink. Always a new skill to learn, I think that is the magic of this project. Cement work, retaining walls, footings , masonry, stucco, now tile and plumbing. I am going to be McGyver by the time I finish this project.
Greg, I don't know if you want me to teach you about bread, I am struggling lately with my bread. I think I am not quite dedicated to the timing and measurement part of it. I am going to go back to square 1 and do it just like the recipe says then see if my results are better. My bread is good but not great (my wife Cathy always compares it to Bread and Cie-the local artisan bakery, and it doesn't measure up yet- so I keep trying, and having fun doing so)
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Eric's WFO build-img00204.jpg   Eric's WFO build-img00205.jpg   Eric's WFO build-img00206.jpg  
Old 08-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Journeyman

Its been a few weeks since I posted any progress. Finished the counter top and sink, put in an electrical outlet( many thanks to my friend Bruce for the help with the plumbing and electrical). My father in law Dick is fabricating some cabinetry and doors for the under counter storage. I am coming up on 1 year since I started this project in a couple of weeks.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Eric's WFO build-img00211.jpg  
Old 08-09-2010, 04:59 AM
Master Builder

That countertop looks great. Very nice build! A year well spent

Old 08-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great Eric. The tile counter is beautiful. You're doing a great job on the whole outdoor kitchen. Can't wait to see the doors on.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Journeyman

Thanks for the kind words Mike and Dino. Really glad I am done digging trenches for conduit and pipe.
E
Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Apprentice

Great job on the counters. Really like the look and layout.

My projects:
Old 08-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Apprentice

Eric - +1 on the countertops. You have me thinking about tile now. I've been vacillating between stone, tile, and home-made concrete counter tops. Since I already have the concrete sides, tiles would probably be the cheapest and quickest.

Where did you get your tiles from? Specifically the edge tiles with rounded sides seem like it might be hard to find at Home Depot/Lowes. Did you so anything special in terms of sealing the grout to protect it from the weather?

Nice work and good luck wrapping up the rest of the project.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Journeyman

Thanks for the compliments. I got the tile from Arizona Tile, its a cobalt blue porcelain. The edge is just bull nose, I priced the V cap edges but it would have doubled the price of the project. I am sealing the grout with silicone grout sealer. One thing that I didn't think of and someone told me after it was done: for outdoor tile counter tops, build in a small amount of slope so rain will not pool.A very small slope should be adequate. It shouldn't be a big problem in San Diego, but definitely something to consider in Seattle. Also I used Hardie backer over 3/4" marine plywood for the counter, in Seattle you might be better off with a mortar bed for the under the tile.
Thanks for the kind words, good luck. By the way the party looked like a great time Todd.

Eric