Old 05-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Elizabeth's oven

No worries about tight fit of the bricks. They look tight from far away. Close up, there's gaps due to inconsistencies in lenght etc. Good woork so far!

-
Old 05-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks good! Are you going to have three entries to the wood storage area then? Gives it a nice airy look - so far, with wood inside that'll change.

I wouldn't worry too much about prettying it up at this stage, I'm sure you'll work it out when you get there!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, we were figuring on more than one entry to the storage. when I had the opening staked out it looked awfully small, so then I looked at someone's (can't remember whose), who had sort of made it open on both ends, and then Mark (otherwise known as DH) suggested doing it this way, since we already had those 2 gargantuan lintels anyway. It will be easier to get the wood in and out this way, for sure!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

So, today we got a whole lot done. We cut the steel decking, used self-tapping screws to assemble it, used the gun thingy to stick it down to the block, and made concrete!

The first picture is my husband cutting the steel with lots of really cool sparks, the second is of the sparks shooting really far! (for the pyros among you) the third and fourth are fastening the deck with the gun thingy, and the last one is of the decking fit to the top, held back 1 1/2 inches so it won't show.
Attached Thumbnails
Elizabeth's oven-100_1286_640x480.jpg   Elizabeth's oven-100_1289_640x480.jpg   Elizabeth's oven-100_1297_640x480.jpg   Elizabeth's oven-100_1299_640x480.jpg   Elizabeth's oven-100_1300_640x480.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This set is of the form we held up by nailing into the blocks with boards to hold up the form around the edge; the rebar under the load point and at the front; about 5 bags into the hearth pour (or shovel, as the case may be); 12 bags in and finished; and then last but not least, me with the stand, because my husband was sure you all would think I didn't really exist since all the pictures are of him. Please don't mind the overalls, they have a lot of great pockets on the front and I like to work in them...

The steel decking worked great- all we had to support was the front corner. We didn't have a lot of leakage, because I used duct tape to seal the places I could see thru and crumpled newspaper under the corrugated edge of the decking. I sure hope that I banged enough on the edges of the form to settle the concrete in so I don't see a lot of aggregate- but I'll cover it up if it shows.

Of course, now it's started to sprinkle. I have plastic on, but I bet I get pockmarks. Maybe I can convince people they're a design feature?

So now I'm going to cut a lot of bricks while I wait for the hearth to cure, locate vermiculite or perlite, and ponder on the shape of my vermicrete...
Attached Thumbnails
Elizabeth's oven-100_1304_640x480.jpg   Elizabeth's oven-100_1305_640x480.jpg   Elizabeth's oven-100_1313_640x480.jpg   Elizabeth's oven-100_1315_640x480.jpg   Elizabeth's oven-100_1316_640x480.jpg  

Old 05-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice! Great great great. Now the real fun starts!

-
Old 05-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Apprentice

Nice hearth slab Elizabeth! My 3-year old daughter just saw it with me and said -oooh, Shiny!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post

Of course, now it's started to sprinkle. I have plastic on, but I bet I get pockmarks. Maybe I can convince people they're a design feature?
Way to go Elizabeth. It looks great -- and it sounds like the perfect weather for allowing your concrete hearth to cure. I look back and remember the first time I did a concrete project and worried about the rain, and the guy I was working with kept saying "a little rain is great for concrete."

I like your forms. Very innovative.

Keep up the great work.
James

Old 05-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Liz - you're lookin good in the overalls, your husband reminds me of Home Improvement - you never see the neighbors face (your last name isn't Wilson is it? Great start on your oven, in regard to the weather - it gives EVERY project character.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Those overalls are great - exemplary WFO building gear! They'll rate way up there with George's unforgettable knee-vetilated trousers...

The stand looks good, too. This is not the first time you've worked with concrete, right?