Old 07-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Elizabeth's oven

Welcome back!!! Nice fire!!!!

Very nice reveal on the arch. It turned out great.

What is the first thing you will cook in it?

Chrstio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm not sure, but I expect to use some residual heat in several days to do something. I don't have a door yet, so I can't do anything that will take too long. I think maybe a chicken, split down the backbone and flattened, with some fresh herbs and garlic stuffed under the skin. Or I could do it with the beer can stand thingy and a pan- that way I don't run the risk of messing up one of my cast iron pans. I might put some veg. in around the bottom too- I have a lot of fennel right now, and I love it roasted.

While we were gone, a groundhog took advantage of the absence of dogs to eat my parsley, my carrot tops, my fennel tops, my lettuce, and some of my sweet potato vines. He's taken up residence under the deck, you see, and I'm going to let the dogs at him. I HATE groundhogs. Especially when they eat my garden. (anyone notice that they never eat the things you have too much of, like zucchini? why is that?)

Old 07-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Master Builder

I feel your pain. The deer got all the tops of my tomato plants and also ate my hostas....

Apparently Deer do not like Basil - that plant is doing wonderful.

christo

Old 07-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

groundhogs don't like basil, sage, or rosemary at my house... and my smallest dog has already scared the living crap out of it! so maybe it will leave.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Apprentice

Elizabeth
I have enjoyed watching your build very much. Is it true that garden fed wood fired oven ground hog is tasty?
berryst

Last edited by berryst; 07-27-2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryst View Post
Elizabeth
I have enjoyed watching your build very much. Is it true that garden fed wood fired oven ground hog is tasty?
berryst
I dunno. Lola (the little dog) got hold of it twice, but then let it go under the porch again. We haven't seen it since. Either I'll start smelling something vile soon out there, or it's maybe moved. I haven't seen any more damage out in the garden, either.

Since Lola let it go, I doubt it tastes very good. But if it shows its little rodenty face again, we might find out!

Old 07-28-2008, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The second fire, of newspaper and kindling, is now burning. Most of the smoke goes out through the vent, although some is going out the front. It was a little hard to get it going at first- I think I'll have to check out the fire-building pages!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Awesome!

Take your time, and don't rush now~! Take your time on the curing.

Congrats

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 07-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

AAAKK!

It's raining on my curing fire! I put one layer of blanket on, and there's tarp on that part, but the entry is too hot to cover up!

Crap. Does the blanket dry out ok if it gets a little wet around the bottom?

And we never have just rain. We have to have wind too.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wheee, leave the forum for a measly little week or three and you miss half the fun...

Congratulations on your wonderfull oven Elisabeth! It looks really good.

I think you'll be ok with the rain. Ok, mine was made from different materials etc, but I'm sure most ovens get a bit wet at one stage or another. It'll feel good to have it coved up and waetherproofed though, won't it?