Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   dusty's Door (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/dustys-door-3561.html)

dusty 03-18-2008 06:05 PM

dusty's Door

3 Attachment(s)
Well...I think that's it for my door. Steel front, FB board in the middle, with a 1/2 inch piece of ceramic "hardybacker" board in back next to the fire. I bolted it together with carriage bolts and bolted a gate sping on there for a handle. Fits like a glove. Now for the test. I'm not possitive about the backer board, but I think it will work just fine. Gotta be better than stackin' and unstackin' those red hot bricks!

dusty

james 03-18-2008 06:26 PM

Re: dusty's Door

Dusty,

Nice looking door. I think you should think about a way of sealing the board on its edge. It is an industrial insulating product, and you should keep it sealed to lock in the fibers.

James

dusty 03-18-2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 26899)
Dusty,

Nice looking door. I think you should think about a way of sealing the board on its edge. It is an industrial insulating product, and you should keep it sealed to lock in the fibers.

James

Thanks. You are probably right. Thought about that some, but not alot. I was hoping that the steel or the backer board would take most of the big hits. Will the heat cause it to deteriorate?

dusty

james 03-18-2008 06:39 PM

Dusty,

It isn't the heat, but the fibers being in the air where you will breath them and they will come in contact with food.

James

Ken524 03-18-2008 06:42 PM

Perfect! It's simple and should work great.
Nice job.

dusty 03-18-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 26903)
Dusty,

It isn't the heat, but the fibers being in the air where you will breath them and they will come in contact with food.

James

Oh...I got ya. Could I coat it with something that wouldn't catch on fire?
Like furnace caulk? Or sould I encase it?

dusty

telehort 03-18-2008 07:06 PM

cool looking door dusty. I was wondering the same thing about seeing if you could encase the edge by spreading some furnace cement or something like that on it. I wonder if that would spread on, but then would be "brittle" when dried.

gjbingham 03-18-2008 07:18 PM

Dusty,
I think James is possibly referring to the possible carcinogenic or other ill effects of breathing/eating the fibers.

Love your door! Something around the exterior to keep the ceramic fibers in there - I've yet to do that to mine.

asudavew 03-19-2008 09:55 AM

Nice door Dustman.

How heavy is the sucker?

They make an aluminum tape.... for furnaces etc. I think it would be perfect to run around the edges. It would require replacement from time to time... but it is thin and wouldn't make your door any bigger.

I will see if I can find some online. I usually buy it at Lowe's when I need it though.

Dave

asudavew 03-19-2008 10:02 AM

Best example I could find.

12 roll Aluminum Foil Tape Duct work Insulation repair - eBay (item 350036353926 end time Mar-20-08 10:10:03 PDT)

But it shouldn't detract from the look of the door.