Old 03-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Laborer

Default Re: dusty's Door

the tape should be available at any decent hardware store..its quite sticky but is prone to tearing easily..i always keep a roll in my work van..mabey it would be better if you could find a tin knocker that could roll the edges of a thin piece of aluminum over and then wrap the exposed edges slipping the front edge behind the metal if the space allows
Old 03-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
maybe it would be better if you could find a tin knocker that could roll the edges of a thin piece of aluminum over and then wrap the exposed edges slipping the front edge behind the metal if the space allows
That's a good idea. Could you use cheap aluminum flashing from Home Depot?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Could you use cheap aluminum flashing from Home Depot?
Just this morning, I was thinking about this and came up with the aluminum flashing idea as well. I have a roll in my garage and will try it on my door in the next few weeks when monsoon season is over.

Updated!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Journeyman

Ken,

I second that - it's been raining in Cincy for 2 days straight and there's a lot of flooding going around. I guess I'll have to put off my hearth pour (too cold) this weekend.

Dick
Old 03-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
Nice door Dustman.
How heavy is the sucker?
They make an aluminum tape.... for furnaces etc. I think it would be perfect to run around the edges. It would require replacement from time to time... but it is thin and wouldn't make your door any bigger.
Dave
What's crackin' my texican brother? Long time. Good to hear from you... and a most excellent call on the tape. I know that stuff. They used it on my commercial refrigerater at work. That is precisely what I will start off doing. If that doesn't work, I'll go to the NEXT easiest thing. Thanks for doing the e-bay research, but I'm sure I can find it at the local "mom and pop's heating and air" joint. I like to shop at those places.

How's everything? Family good?

Be sure to tell them all that your pal-from-Cal was asking about them and get that videographer daughter of yours off her butt...I'm ready for for more lessons!

Got plans for pizza night #4 on Friday. Wish you and wife and kids could come. I will have the door taped up properly and will post a complete report.

dusty
Old 03-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Perfect! It's simple and should work great.
Nice job.
Thanks Ken. I kinda figured that you wouldn't mind me pretty much copying yours. ( I should have asked first)

Everything going OK over there in KY?

Stay dry and keep the fam. safe.

dusty
Old 03-20-2008, 12:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you guys started the tape before the door plate (or unbolted it to tape it Dusty) you could hide the tape on the door side and back so it would not detract from the door when in place. Designing the plate slightly larger that the insulation and backing (just more than the thickness of the tape ) might also serve to protect it as it was put in and out.

...just thinking. I'm going to have to make an insulated door now.

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Thanks Ken. I kinda figured that you wouldn't mind me pretty much copying yours. ( I should have asked first)
Nahh... no asking necessary. I posted it so it could be copied (or better yet, improved upon).

Quote:
Everything going OK over there in KY?
Yep. Spring is just about here. I was able to get out to the workshop and start cleaning up the messes created over the winter. I hope to be back to work on the oven really soon. Possibly tomorrow afternoon!

Keep up the good work on your oven!

Updated!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabia Jim View Post
If you guys started the tape before the door plate (or unbolted it to tape it Dusty) you could hide the tape on the door side and back so it would not detract from the door when in place. Designing the plate slightly larger that the insulation and backing (just more than the thickness of the tape ) might also serve to protect it as it was put in and out.
Good call. I will unbolt it, tuck the tape in behind the steel and the backer board, and re bolt it together. I think I will weld a piece of steel across the bottom as the tape will surely wear out from sliding across the brick floor.

dusty
Old 03-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Just this morning, I was thinking about this and came up with the aluminum flashing idea as well. I have a roll in my garage and will try it on my door in the next few weeks when monsoon season is over.
That should work great. I plan to start with the tape 'cause it's easy and I'm into easy.
I'll keep you posted.

dusty