Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   dusty dome is 4" tall (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/dusty-dome-4-tall-2943.html)

dusty 11-14-2007 09:42 PM

dusty dome is 4" tall

5 Attachment(s)
Well... I'm off and running. Finally started building my oven. I ended up ordering refmix from our beloved FB on Monday. Took off of work a bit early that day, went home, and started laying out the soldier course. One thing led to another, and I ended up cutting a wedge off of every-other soldier brick. This so to cut in half the number of motar wedges I would have to make (and cut in half the amount of motar that I would use). My Refmix was on the porch the next day - yesterday! I started yesterday by glueing (with the sticky mortar) each wedge shaped soldier to the half brick soldier with a minimum of refmix - maybe 1/16". First photo.
So, today, I had to set 22 big fat bricks instead of 44 skinny bricks. Twice as fast to level and set. These pics are at the half way point today. I ended up completeing the first course about 4:30. In the photos, you can see that I had a wedged shaped joint at every-other brick.
I suppose I'm rambling, but the first four inches are done! Woo Hooo!

dusty

Ken524 11-15-2007 10:07 AM

Re: dusty dome is 4" tall

Outstanding work! Clever idea, cutting ever other brick. You're really off and running now.

Kemo 11-15-2007 11:43 AM

Oh man...this is gonna be a great oven and a really good thread. Thanks for posting. I like your innovative ideas with the bricks. Logic tells me the less mortar you use the better the build... I cant wait to see how this all turns out.

dusty 11-15-2007 02:38 PM

Thanks Steve. And yea, I am thinking the less motar, the beter it may hold heat- but I'm not sure. What I DO know is that at $90 for 45lbs. delivered, I want to make this stuff go as far as possible!

dusty

asudavew 11-15-2007 03:53 PM

Hey Dusty.

I agree with Kemo and Ken.
Good idea.

But I was wondering about the piece you are cutting off....
Could it be placed in the larger gap?
Just a thought.

My oven has some pretty good sized cracks... I used lots of mortar. So I thought this idea might help ya some. And save mortar for you.

Keep up the good work, and the great picture posts.

It's fun to watch.

james 11-15-2007 04:11 PM

Another oven takes flight. Congratulations.

Still, I have a question -- how do you cook pizza in a 4" high oven. :-)

Dave, I have given into the dark side -- embrace your cracks.

James

dusty 11-15-2007 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That was my idea Dave. I tried. But by the time I put even a tiny bit of motar on each side of it, the gap was to big between the big fat bricks. So then I tried to just tap them into the wet mortar after I set the bricks. It would only go part way, then start to move the brick I had just set. In the attatched pic you can see a stack of them on the piece of slate. I was going for it.

James, since when do you make 5" tall pizzas?

dusty

james 11-15-2007 07:27 PM

LOL.

Chicago Deep Dish?

James

Les 11-15-2007 10:39 PM

Dusty - I think you missed James' humor. Your thread is "dusty dome is 4 inches tall". I think you meant 4 feet tall. But if I am incorrect, I have to go with James, how do you cook a pizza in a 4 inch oven :confused: I think it may be ideal for a bread stick. :)

Les...

asudavew 11-16-2007 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 19406)
Another oven takes flight. Congratulations.

Still, I have a question -- how do you cook pizza in a 4" high oven. :-)

Dave, I have given into the dark side -- embrace your cracks.

James

Yes...
I must embrace and fill! They do add character....

Hopefully... the insulation this week..