Old 08-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray
"I'd get a narrow pointing tool and fill the joints at the entrance to your oven"

I will do that. It will have to be a very narrow tool indeed. Do you know of an online source for such an item?

Drake
I would use a popsicle stick and your finger. I know, mortar is caustic, but it won't take you but 5 minutes to do it.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Popsicle stick!

Good idea, and it will burn afterward!!

Drake

Last edited by DrakeRemoray; 08-22-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Framed it up!

Hi All,

I installed the metal framing this weekend.

I have a very tight allowance for insulation space, so I framed a sort of window with a header where the oven in close to the wall. This allowed me to put two inches on insulating blanket on and leaves me 2 inches (barely) for perlite.

I purchased a double wall chimney pipe but don't have pictures of that installed yet.

Drake
Attached Thumbnails
Drake's 38" Oven-dsc_0006.jpg   Drake's 38" Oven-dsc_0011.jpg   Drake's 38" Oven-dsc_0005.jpg  
Old 08-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Master Builder

Drake, that looks fantastic. I'm just about to that step myself - I hope my framing will be as square as yours looks. I think that window idea will work well, there will be little outward force with the perlite. Will you add any slope to the roof? What roofing material do you plan? I think I've decided on a cheap metal roofing - easy to apply and fire resistant. I plan a simple backward sloping roof with no gables. I was dreaming of copper but then I started looking at cost and stopped.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Nice Work

Drake,

First the hearth, then the dome, now the enclosure; all look very fine. I neglected to answer the question about the narrow tool. What you need (or needed) is a pointing tool. These come in a variety of widths, from 1/2" to 1/8" and are available at Home Depot (usually) or a masonry supplier. If you have a grinder, the tools can be modified to suit. These are meant for facade brick and commonly come much too long. I did post a pic of my masonry tools at one point, but I don't know where it resides.

Jim
Old 08-23-2006, 06:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maven, I am planning a flat, stone roof with a pond liner underneath for a moisture barrier. I was going to put a little slope on it, but I was afraid it would just look odd.

CannuckJim, I used a popsicle stick, it worked very well!

Drake
Old 08-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Apprentice

Default Looks great!

Drake,

Your oven looks a lot like mine right now. I'm on vaction in Vail, but when I getg back home, I'm going to finish my enclosure.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Master Builder

Default Jim's Tools

a link to CanuckJims pointing tools and such is located here

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/show...ighlight=tools (CanuckJim's Masonry Tools)
Old 08-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Cement Board

Hi All,

I got the cement board on the frame. It looks really really HUGE! I still need to get a chimney cap of some sort on. Right now I have a piece of cement board over the chimney.

Drake
Attached Thumbnails
Drake's 38" Oven-dsc_0003a.jpg   Drake's 38" Oven-dsc_0005a.jpg  
Old 08-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

One of my friends said I should post a picture of the oven with me standing next to it to give it some sense of scale.

I showed him this. He now wants to know where he can get his hands on a giant box of Molson...

Drake
Attached Thumbnails
Drake's 38" Oven-dsc_0003persp.jpg