Old 05-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Cuts for oven opening

Hi All,

Here are the cuts I made for the throat/opening of the oven. I opted to put the bricks flat. It made the cuts eaiser and I think it will look better from the inside to see the short side of the bricks instead of the face.

Drake
Attached Thumbnails
Drake's 38" Oven-dsc_0005.jpg   Drake's 38" Oven-dsc_0010.jpg   Drake's 38" Oven-dsc_0012.jpg   Drake's 38" Oven-dsc_0017.jpg  
Old 05-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default First 3 rings

Here are some pictures of the first 3 rings. I went a little crazy with the mortar. I have more of a mortar line on the inside than I wanted, but it is not moving now! So Fio, my advice, go lighter on the mortar. I also seem to have a tendency to mix my concrete products too dry. Once I finally got it wet enought it was much easier to work with. I may have to point in some more mortar for a consistent look.

Drake
Attached Thumbnails
Drake's 38" Oven-dsc_0057.jpg   Drake's 38" Oven-dsc_0059crop.jpg   Drake's 38" Oven-dsc_0064.jpg   Drake's 38" Oven-dsc_0066.jpg  
Old 05-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Journeyman

Default Rings 4 and up will show increasing mortar lines.

(M) Drake, your work looks fine! Don't expect this neat visual work to be maintained. As you increase in courses you will likely have more mortar visible. Thats OK!

(M) Do you plan to house your igloo? ___

Ciao,

Marcel
Old 05-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Marcel,

Yes I plan to finish the oven as a stone house. Like the attached picture.

Drake
Attached Thumbnails
Drake's 38" Oven-ovendimensionslight.jpg  
Old 05-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Journeyman

Default Consider a roof for your chimney

(M) I seem to recall having seen that schematic elsewhere. Did you previously post it? __

(M) If you hadn't planned on it, consider including some kind of roof for your chimney to keep the throat of your hearth dry when it rains. ^

(M) Will you just cover the igloo with HardiBacker (or similar cementous underlayment) and adhere the Faux Stone to it? ___

(M) if you are going to build a sheet metal stud framework don't make the mistake I did of "paneling" the walls after the roof trusses are installed.

(M) If you "panel" the walls before installing the roof joists not only will you have an easier time stablizing the roof but you will be able to much more easily place the top screws in the wall. Otherwise your roof overhang will force you to work at an awkward angle.

(M) Keep those images coming. You're doing really nice work!

Ciao,

Marcel, "smart like streetcar"
Old 05-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

(M) I seem to recall having seen that schematic elsewhere. Did you previously post it? __

(D) - I did post it in getting started

(M) If you hadn't planned on it, consider including some kind of roof for your chimney to keep the throat of your hearth dry when it rains. ^
(D) - I do plan on doing that, but it is not in the drawing

(M) Will you just cover the igloo with HardiBacker (or similar cementous underlayment) and adhere the Faux Stone to it? ___
(D) Yes, but it is real stone that has been sliced to make it self supporting (on the hardibacker). Here is a link, I am using the style Cavanal I have it all stacked up in my garage.

(M) if you are going to build a sheet metal stud framework don't make the mistake I did of "paneling" the walls after the roof trusses are installed.

(M) If you "panel" the walls before installing the roof joists not only will you have an easier time stablizing the roof but you will be able to much more easily place the top screws in the wall. Otherwise your roof overhang will force you to work at an awkward angle.
(D) Advice taken!

(M) Keep those images coming. You're doing really nice work!
(D) Thanks! I am sooo tired and still lots to do!

Last edited by DrakeRemoray; 04-19-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:03 AM
Journeyman

Drake:

It is not clear from your pictures, but, be carefull with your igloo shape.
If you are going with the three first rings horizontally, it will be higher than you need.
Normally, it is common to follow the spherical shape since the second ring, been the first one the one with the bricks sided.
Remembering that the specific for pizza Napolitan ovens are almost flat!
By the way, nice work!

Luis
Old 05-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arevalo53anos
It is not clear from your pictures, but, be carefull with your igloo shape.
If you are going with the three first rings horizontally, it will be higher than you need.
Normally, it is common to follow the spherical shape since the second ring, been the first one the one with the bricks sided.

Luis
Luis, While I appreciate your feedback, I asked this question here Profile Question and here "What about the next two vertical rings?" (I've laid the oven floor bricks: 4 questions). It is not as helpful to answer the question AFTER the mortar is applied.

My dome will be 20" high, typical of the Tuscan design.
For future users, what is your dome height and width?

Drake

Last edited by DrakeRemoray; 05-29-2006 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Journeyman

Default Additional height should not be a problem

(M) Drake wrote, in part:

(D) "My dome will be 20" high, typical of the Tuscan design.
For future users, what is your dome height and width?"

(M) My dome is 21" high, the same dimension as the radius of the igloo's footprint. Disregarding an unfortunate bulge in one spot of my dome, I have close to a true hemisphere. Most builder's suggest a parabolic cross section, whatever that means. If my geometry memory serves, I believe a parabola could be on either side (+ or -) of a true hemisphere. Or am I speaking in hyperbola?

(M) The fact that you may have the first 3 courses mortared vertically should not negatively impact your oven's function. James made the point in an earlier posting that the greater height you have may be helpful in loading your oven.

(M) I understand the frustration you may feel at having had critical questions unanswered. That is the nature of any Forum's exchange, but I'd like to reassure you that you've not made a "mistake" but simply chosen slightly different Specs. Relax and enjoy it. You're doing fine work!

Ciao,

Marcel

Last edited by Marcel; 05-30-2006 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Drake caught my radius error
Old 05-29-2006, 09:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel
(M) My dome is 21" high, the same dimension as the diameter of the igloo's footprint.
Marcel, do you mean the same dimension as the RADIUS of the igloo's footprint? Do you have a 42" oven?

Also, what are dimensions of your door? I am planning 19" wide by 12" Tall.

Thanks,

Drake

Last edited by DrakeRemoray; 05-29-2006 at 09:39 AM.