Old 04-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Laborer

Default Re: dlebla's 39" MA build

Now that winter is over I'm back in oven mode. I have made some changes to my plans based on some feedback here and have finished the block stand. I have the supports up and am ready to pour my hearth. Since I started with a cement slab that was existing, this will be my first time working with concrete. That being said I just wanted to run few a few things and please correct me if I'm wrong so I do not make a stupid mistake, I will make enough through this project.

1. I have all the rebar and supports underneath in place.
2. I'm going to get a U Haul Cement cart from a place about 20 min away.
3. I will fill every other core and the hearth.
4. Once filled I will use a 2X4 to screed the cement level after I Shake the rebar and bang the sides of the form to get all air out and to aid in the filling of cement.
5. Once Level I need to float the entire thing with a wooden trowel

I do not have any cement tools except a straight edge trowel, I plan on building a cheap wooden trowel if needed. Is there any other tool I will need to make or buy for this?

Is that all I need to do? Being in Mass the weather is going to be between high 60 during the day and a low of mid 40's at night. Do I need to worry about watering or covering the slab? I'm going to the library for a book on this but I would feel better getting directions/insight from someone here that has done this. As always thanks for the help and am looking forward to posting some pictures soon.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Dlebla,

I can't remember for sure but I think you gave you either my IT or brick jig or both, so you are finally goint to be able to use them. When you done send them on to some other WFO builder.

Are you doing an enclosure or bare igloo? If and enclosure, most of your concrete finish will not been seen if an igloo the finish may be more visible but depends on what your final surface will be. In any case the most importart part is a level surface with no low spots around the dome area for water to pool. Perfect weather for pouring and curing concrete.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Hey Dlebla,

Are you doing an enclosure or bare igloo? If and enclosure, most of your concrete finish will not been seen if an igloo the finish may be more visible but depends on what your final surface will be. In any case the most importart part is a level surface with no low spots around the dome area for water to pool. Perfect weather for pouring and curing concrete.
If doing an igloo it's actually a good idea to mound the supporting slab up slightly in the middle and slope it down to the outside so water will not be encouraged to find its way under the floor.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Laborer

Utah - Yes I was lucky enough to get your fine tools last year and was unable to use them as I ran out of time before winter. Now that the weather has turned I'm ready to pour my hearth slab. I plan on building an enclosure not an igloo. That being said pour the cement, screed with a 2X4 and then just trowel it smooth?

I will definitely pass on the tools you were so grateful to pass on to me. Cant say it enough, Thanks!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Laborer

So I poured my hearth about 2 weeks ago and will be starting soon. I have my FB board and the bricks will be arriving next week. I'm undecided about a Thermal Break, how easy is this to incorporate? The floor seems rather easy to incorporate, but the rest seems to be the real challenge. On one hand I'm thinking just keep it simple and on the other I say go for it! Any suggestions or thoughts?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Laborer

Last night I finished the insulation and I now have everything I need to start the floor. Still debating on a thermal break.
Attached Thumbnails
dlebla's 39" MA build-fireclay.jpg   dlebla's 39" MA build-portland.jpg   dlebla's 39" MA build-lime.jpg   dlebla's 39" MA build-sand.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

dlebla,

Looks like you have everything for home brew. As far as a thermal break, up to you. I installed both in floor and arch. Good luck.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-12-2013, 05:18 AM
Master Builder

After measuring the temps either side of the thermal break I am happy to have gone to the trouble of building it in. I suppose it revolves around how long you want to hold heat. I am really pleased with the capacity to use my oven next day and after.

Depends how you want to use your oven I suppose.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 06-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Laborer

I started to lay my floor last night and had a couple questions.

1. I noticed the bricks are not very uniform in size thus I get small gaps and the occasional larger one in between the bricks. I assume this is due to the lack of mortar between the bricks acting as a buffer. Just wanted to check before building.

2. As I placed my bricks on the insulation board they seemed very flat. I used a little dry mix of fireclay and sand and seemed to work fine. If I plan on building the dome on top of the floor is this okay? Or should i wet the sand firecaly mix as I assume this will be more secure?

3. If I was to incorporate a thermal break in the oven I have a few other questions.

a. I assume you want the insulation only under the dome and inner arch.

b. Is there any guess to how much longer the oven stays hotter for? I have seen others with no heat break and use the oven for a days after use with no issue as far as I know. Input here is appreciated

c. I have looked at threads of people using the heat/Thermal Break. Is there any consensus of which one is the preferred method for rookies like myself or in general?

Thanks for your input. Here is a picture of the floor so far.
Attached Thumbnails
dlebla's 39" MA build-2013-06-13-07.50.39.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

db,

Congrats on the start of your project.

1. Bricks are not completely uniform, IMHO your floor looks fine. What gaps you have will fill in with ash anyway.
2. Fireclay/sand is just a leveling medium not a means to secure the brick. By placing the dome on the floor I assume you are doing an enclosure vs and igloo, should be great.
3a. I have insulation, foamglas and ca si under my outer arch mainly due to the fact is was easier to maintain the same level as the floor and my thermal break on the arch was not a complete separation from the dome, some builders have a complete air gap between the dome and chimmey/outer arch. My floor thermal break has insulation under it too.
3B. don't know
3c. lots of ways to skin the cat, choose one that works for you build and you are comfortable building.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log