Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

A YEAR AND A HALF!!! So if that is the time frame from someone who got to work on his oven every weekend, mine will be done in about 18 years!!!
Why didn't you say something sooner to me!

Great job Dino and Mike. And I still would not object to much if you two were traveling through Houston some day and stopped by to lay a brick or two in my oven.

Gary
Old 06-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdest View Post
A YEAR AND A HALF!!!
Sounds about right. I will hit the one year mark in two days. But, don't tell my wife that I may still have six months to go. She is "so over" the backyard construction site.

Dave
Old 07-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Serf

Wow! I'm screwed. I started my project a few weeks ago and told my wife I'd have it done by Labor Day.

Dino and Mike, I've enjoyed going through this thread (as well as others) and learning from your postings and photos . Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

Dino M.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Journeyman

Yeah, good luck with that. I started last August, with an estimated finish date of Thanksgiving. I moved that to New Years, then the Super Bowl, finally had the oven operable by mid April. I am still working on the prep area with hopes to be done by August. There are people on the forum that have done it very quickly ( like 3 weeks) but most of us that aren't professionals or very experienced (and have other jobs and families)take a while. Don't stress, the whole process is a lot of fun and you will be very proud of the result.

Eric
Old 07-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Master Builder

Exactly. I wouldn't sweat it either. Once your dome is up and insulated you an start using your oven and take your time on its peripherals.
That's basically where I'm at now and as I'm using the oven I can decide and make practical changes on the rest of the build, such as counters and prep areas.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm still working on "finishing" mine- the oven's complete, the counter's complete, but the outer coating I THOUGHT was complete got wrecked last year in the horrible cold and infinite rain/snow in between the horrible cold. I'm going to be using the SBC today to finish the repair, and hope that I can be REALLY finished. Then I can start doing the garden rework- currently I'm having to step over plants I haven't moved to use the oven.... not terribly convenient.

anybody need any chocolate mint, garlic chives or spiderwort? I currently have them EVERYWHERE.

And can you transplant rosemary and lavender bushes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Apprentice

Dino M.
You have to take a lesson learned from this site. When the dome is done there is a tendency to take a big sign and enjoy the fruits of your labors. My wife refers to it as the "half finished bathroom" complex. So I prepped myself for that, took a deep breath and reinvigorated the project to go to completion shortly after the dome was up. Start to completion was
Late Feb - started
Early SEP - First Pizza
Mid Nov - 100% complete
That was not a fast past with just working a few days each month in my spare time.
regards
Greg

Click to see my Thread:

Click to see Google web album:

Old 07-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Serf

Thanks for the encouragement. It sounds like I should concentrate on working on completing my dome and not get to caught up on the overall finished product timeline. As they say "One day at a time". At least that's what I'm going to tell my wife.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dino M.: You are following in a time-honored tradition of building projects: tell your spouse a reasonable time-line, how little it will cost and that you'll do it all and keep the yard clean AND not ignore other projects .

Seriously, thanks for the earlier compliment. I look forward to watching your build.

When I think back on it, I started digging footings in Feb and started pizzas 4 months later. My biggest pizza parties have been with the dome in the steel-stud stage, then with the cement board around it. End of this month will be our big annual pool party and friends will see the wfo in it's finished state for the 1st time. Many thought the cement board stage with the roof was the "finished" product and were impressed. Can't wait till they see it really done.

Elizabeth, I had to REALLY push myself to finish the SBC and stone work. I was in your same condition: I couldn't bear ignoring the yard and vegi garden. I just had to finish to move on to other things. Can't wait to see how your SBC- surface bonding cement went. I think rosemary transplants easily and I've transplanted lavender in the summer and it works too. Good luck.

Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Had 30 people over for our big pool party and now annual Pizza Fest. Last year, we introduced the wfo in steel studs and exposed insulation with a Sketchup Picture taped to it to show everyone what it is 'suppose' to look like when done. The oven beat my expectations and I assume everyone else's too.

My wfo location puts my back in full sun at 3pm in the summer months so I picked up this 8' "sail-shade" at HomeDepot for $30. It worked great!

It looked so nice, I bought a 17' on amazon for about the same price for the swimming pool:

However, the best part is I made my 20 pizzas using nothing but my Sour Dough Starter. I was interested in Jays (Texassourdough) method he described so I posted my experience I had with it here and recommend anyone toying with SD starter only to read the thread:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/10/p...r-13339-2.html (Pizza Dough with Sourdough starter)
I may never use IDY-ADY again
And yes, I did make 20 pizza balls:

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread