Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Ok I need more advise here. Going to work on my second course this weekend. I will be cutting the brick(s) at least in half at an angle as measued with the indespensable tool. Now here is the question.
My shoulder course has the angle cut on the top so that the next course brick should be able to sit flat on the face. If I do that then I would have to cut the top of my brick to the correct angle for the 2nd chain. If I don't cut it I will have to shim up the brick to get the correct angle.
If I cut then I will be getting tighter joints and use less mortar. Is it worth the effort?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Apprentice

Hi Dino, sorry for the delayed response. I just caught your question (pre-pond!)

As is usually the case, I got the design idea from others in the form. You might take a look at this thread:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/oven-door-6581.html (oven door)

and look at the posting from jcg31 (4-18-09). I actually bought the insulated tape from him as he had and probably still has quite a bit of excess. I sandwiched some of the leftover pieces of ceramic board between two sheets of stainless steel and wrapped the edges with the tape. I used hi-heat sealant often used with furnace gaskets, etc.There's a bit of a taper so it really does snug into the opening. I also made sure the wood never rests on any of the brick or it would torch. It certainly hold heat. Usually at around 550 the morning after baking pizza. 375 - 400 the following.

Let me know if you have questions and great work on your oven.

I'll attach a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-img_1805.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-img_1808.jpg  

Oven Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Progress pictures:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cooking pictures:

Old 05-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Bill,
It looks like you used 2 sheets of steel and the 2" of FB board between it. Jim had 1" insul boards so he had 3 sheets and used the middle sheet as a heat sink to keep the wood door isolated from the interior screws. But you don't have any issues with that? I guess not with those nice temps you're getting the next morning. So the only thing between the raw cut edges of the insulation board and the heat tape is the gasket sealant? It protects it enough I take it?
I think I'll try to copy both of yours ideas. Thanks !

Hey GDEST: I definetly had some rows (it may have started with my 2nd -or even 1st row after the "shoulder") that required no tappering cut on top but just a little thicker mortar in the back than the front. I may have started the side tapers to reduce the inverted V but I'm not sure if that started in row 3 when the dome got tighter.

Is it worth the effort to tapper your 2nd row you ask? I would say no unless the mortar in the back exceeds 1/4" (I know...I know...many of you -me too somewhere in my build but I'm denying it - went 1/4" regularly and it works out fine. I did it now and then but attempted a "tighter" dome...on the whole)
If I had it to do all over, I would have been a bit less tight and used more mortar but would use 1/4" as a max, then tapper. At some points in the dome, you HAVE to tapper a lot to get the dome "over" into your half sphere or squished sphere. Good luck this weekend. Post some pics if you can. Let me know if this answered your questions or if you get any new ones,
-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Apprentice

Dino, yes. Only ceramic board (2") between. I thought I'd skip the heat sink idea and rout out the back of the wood a little around the bolt heads. No problems yet. I do remember now that i used aluminum tape around the edge and adhered the fire ribbon/tape on top of that per his directions.

I also have a simple plywood door that I wrapped with the excessive AL tape and a shelf support bracket as a handle and support. Used for sealing the oven in between fires and for creating a draft when lighting. Often hear the wood smoldering beneath the tape....

Cheers!

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 05-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Apprentice

Dino

Thanks for the reply and yes that did help a bit. I think it just confirmed what I was thinking and that is cutting provides a tighter fit and probably adds to the construction time but the mortar works amost as well and would shorten some of the construction. What to do? What to do?

And to address your comment on the photos, I have been posting photos of my build under the following thread:

Getting Started-One small step for pizza

Comments are not only welcomed but encouraged!

One last item, I am having a little difficulty trying to see how the opening and dome should come together on my oven. You can see, maybe, what I am planning if you look at my photos.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

OK, I'm still not ready show pics of my finalized wfo 'cuz it aint final yet. I still need to grout more and SBC the back and visible storage area. But....

I had a family-swim-pizza party yesterday and although I did not take pics of any pizza's (I can't take photos while making them-home cured gravlox and creme fresh/ wfo smoked duck, mozza, crimini's / 4 cheese) I did take photos of the smoked baby backs and 2 duck legs I used in the pizza (iron Tuscan grill was bought on Forno Bravo ).That 2-tiered smoking rack is great. The 3 sea bass was also roasted in the wo-fo and it was a total hit. Roasted high on a rack, rubbed with evoo and herbs, it got really crispy yet inside was perfect in the after-pizza-temp oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_8972.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_8974.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_9031.jpg  

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Master Builder

Dino,

I really need to come to CA to take a cooking class from you! Your food looks awesome! What are you using for 2 tier smoking rack?

Old 05-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Apprentice

Dino - Looks perfect. What was the temp for the ribs and duck?

Cedar planked salmon does great as well. Got to watch the plank doesn't ignite though.

Enjoy the wee.

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 PM
Master Builder

What a feast, Dino! Very nice showing us the versatility of your oven.
I can't wait to use my WFO once it's up and running. I've got two baby backs and some chorizos on my 22" Weber kettle now as I post this....

George

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 05-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Apprentice

Looks mighty tasty Dino. I can't imagine firing our oven it's so hot out here in VA. I'm thinking I need longer pizza tools.
Dave