Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
I've got to research the pro's and cons of 8" duravent vs clay pipe.
Thanks, Dino
Dino, I posed a similar question to the group before. It might be worth a review.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/c...imer-5217.html (Chimney Primer)

I went with the clay primarily for cost. I plan to cover the entire chimney, so didn't care as much about appearance. The duravent seems light weight. I don't think you could be wrong with either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for pointing out that thread Mike. I think I've decided to go with the lighter duravent. I looked at Brevens build and he seemed to make the attachment look easy. But I really like the how your's tappers...here I go again. I think I've got to make some decisions and just start. I've spent the whole weekend placing fire brick on the base (just pretend-scenarios) and I see that I was wrong in wanting a deep vent-landing area. Your pics (upon reveiw again) with a brick depth between the 2 arches is what many do and it seems to work with clay pipe and 8" round steel. Others have posted that a huge vent landing and large counter or ledge in front of the arches just make it harder to reach and get to the stuff at the back of the 42" oven dome. So I'll be moving everything forward to the front a few inches and, HOPEFULLY, begin cutting up my FB board this week. Sorry about your cold temps. We've got family in Detroit and I check out your temps daily and...burrrr.
Thanks again for your help, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 AM
Journeyman

Dino,
I know the frustration of not getting anything done because of making decisions. I think you'll be happy with a brick and a half entry. I really have not figured out the advantage of a deep landing area. Anyway that's my two cents. Keep up the good work.

Mark
Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
Sorry about your cold temps. We've got family in Detroit and I check out your temps daily and...burrrr.
Thanks again for your help, Dino
It's tough on the kids that have to wait outside for school. There is current debate in the schools when to close school or have inside "recess" for cold weather. Currently, as long as the temp is greater than 10 degrees F, the kids go out to play for recess. Man, that's cold.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Serf

hello Dino, thanks for the info, i saw your pictures, really good!! I am already getting the itch to start!! Iwill post my pics and share with you all... till then i got a lot of planning to do..... good luck!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the "well wishes" Marco, I need them and this forum since I am a "foody" and a "wino", not a contractor-builder-handy man kind of guy but I may be after I'm thru. I want to start cooking. I just read that Christo bakes cookies on his hot oven landing! These ovens can do almost anything.

So I've amended my landing area after looking over most everyones pics again. I will make the front arch wider to 24" (I'll let Christo keep his record 27" wide) and I will make my depth a tad deeper than many and almost like Christo's. It will be about 14" from the door (where the 1/2" notch is in the brick for the reveal) and the front of the outer arch. There will be a decorative arch covering that and it will add 2-4", technically on the landing.

I have been on autocad all day (don't tell my boss) trying to make my 3 FB boards work. It barely does but it will only go under the oven floor with maybe 1/4" extending beyond it for smearing 1/4" of Refmix over the dome when its done. I'll have to use the ceramic blanket draped all the way down the side and touch my concrete slab. Others have extended their Insblock or FB board about 2" beyond the dome but I can't and I want to lay it this weekend. This really is a lot to think about but it's also lots of fun.
Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dino,

If I can make a suggestion. I would make your reveal 1 inch. I made my door 1/2 inch smaller for some wiggle room. I am still hitting the sides from time to time. I know you are planning on flaring your entry, which will help, but it will do no harm to add a little more lip to it.

JMO,

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:40 AM
Laborer

Dino,
If you are thinking about the arch design, have a look at my progress, as it sounds similar in size to what you are planning.
link to my build (Glenn's WFO)
If you want to know what my dimensions are ending up like, just let me know. I started off using CAD as well, but ended up just putting the bricks down in place and working from there, more by feel rather than design, and it seems to be working for me so far.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree with Les. I only have a 1/2 inch reveal and it's adequate, but 1 inch would be better. The door would fit better with the gasket if I had a full 1 inch.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Journeyman

Dino,
I'm with Les and Elizabeth. I have almost 3/4" reveal, but I wish I had done an inch. I'm not sure why so many of us have used about a 1/2". I think 1 inch should be the standard. JMO

Mark