Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Great work on the stone facing, Dino. That area along the roof line can be a real bear! It looks like your doing great. Enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Eric, I don't know what I'll do after the oven is all finished. I was taking it slow to see YOU finish and maybe get a clue as to what life after the wfo build is suppose to be . Can't wait to see your 1st pizzas. Looks like it'll be soon.

I haven't baked bread since January and my dough starter just keeps eating up expensive KA flour to stay alive. The stone facade is more work than I thought but very satisfying too. I can only go so long before I have to make pizza and that time is coming up again.

Thanks Mike, Your stone work on your oven is top-notch. I was checking out your pics for help and hints and I've decided we need your wife to come over to help. She seems to have a good eye for picking out the right stone pieces .
Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:24 AM
Laborer

Dino, I absolutely love the stone work. Works so well with your surroundings. Daren (dbhansen), used insulation and screws to secure his anchor plate... If I use your technique where you mortar the plate to the bricks, I feel that it does not allow for expansion as the plate heats up. Thoughts?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Journeyman

dino,
if you aren't making bread, you can go 2 weeks between feedings of the starter( I have gone 3, but I don't recommend it). I usually bake bread every weekend so feeding the starter isn't an issue. I have been using the Caputo I bought (Greg has a source for 25kg bags here in SD), it makes great bread-my family likes it better than the KA.

Eric
Old 03-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm impressed at your prodigious baking schedule Eric. My problem lately is I've let the starter go to long, then I really take it down to 1/2 cup, start feeding, re-feeding for about 4 days getting it active and healthy again with plans on baking the weekend. Then I get distracted with nice weather and drive to Paso or Los Olivos for a wine tasting event instead . Like I said, easily distracted.

Dan, I was ready to make the anchor plate holes bigger and use washers b/c I was so concerned about metal expanding, wrinkling then cracking the brick. I was also concerned about drilling the fire brick and cracking it too. But in the end, I made sure the plate had a half inch on all 4 sides to expand into, even though it would and probably did crack the mortar going out into the sides when the flat part expanded. If it did that, it's of no concern b/c the upside-down "L" shaped bricks mortared over (also a 1/2" away from the flat part of the plat) still holds the whole thing down and it's impossible for smoke to get between the plate and mortar, make a hairpin turn and somehow get out.

Here's a pdf of what I did. After placing the bricks in trial, it seemed to not need the screws so I left them out. It also did not seem to need any insulation sandwiched anywhere although I know others have done that. Can't wait to see what you decide to do, Dan.
-Dino
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Anchor plate by mortar only detail.pdf (39.8 KB, 152 views)

My Oven Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Journeyman

Dino,
You are spending too much time on your starter. Yeast is a simple beast- if there is one of them left alive and you feed it it will replenish itself. I keep about 2 1/2 cups of starter in my crock. If I don't use it, I throw 1 cup away, add a cup of flour and a cup of water, stir, let it sit out for a couple of hours and put it back into the fridge. Keeping it cold slows down the activity so you don't have to feed it too often. Don't worry about it so much, it eats until all the food is gone, then it hibernates until you feed it again. You have to seriously neglect it to kill it.

I think I have figured out my keystone, either a sandwich like you did laying the brick on its wide side, or side by side on the thin side. Pictures to follow once I figure it out.
Keep up the good stone work
Eric
Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Laborer

Dino! YOU ROCK! Thank you so much. I am going to use your method. I have the chimney now and dry fit it. WOW, I am so stoked now for test fires.

Dan

PS. Pics to come soon.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:15 AM
Peasant

Hi Dino ,
New to the FB forum and have been looking at variuos WFO for ideas and inspiration.Spent the last few nites reading your entire thread and must say everything you have tried seems to work so well.Must say I like the way everyone shares ideas and info and encourages new builders.
I was going to build a small WFO from a home reality show but after stumbling on this site and seeing the great work that yourself and others have done , may I say I have the bug. I have gone from just a wfo to an outdoor kitchen and entertaining area.
great work Dino and all other members.

regards Gary
Old 03-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Eric, I fed the starter and he's happy again. I think I'll bake bread Sat while I work on the ovens facade stone. Just have to keep the flour and type s mortar apart .

Thanks Dan, and I'm looking forward to seeing your your 1st fires.

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum! I had the same experience when I found this site. I would have been so lost without the fine people posting here. This has been a wonderful building experience for me and I've enjoyed every bit of it.

Your outdoor kitchen will be great with a real Pompeii style oven built into it. You'll be so glad you did it this way. Make sure to ask questions as you're going thru peoples threads and I look forward to seeing your own work soon.

Cheers, Dino

My Oven Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got some of the hardest brick pieces on the enclosure front done last weekend. The stone cuts up easy on the wet-saw for the angled pieces against the roof eave and to customize some stone on the entry arch. Once I finish the front peak, it'll go much faster since it wont be as important to have the stones that "look right" on the front of it.

The fascia boards I painted wood-primmer-gray is really detracting from the stone. I was going to paint it one of my 2 house colors to "bring it in" or attach it to those colors but some suggested using a color from the stones themselves, let the wfo stand on its own. I'm going to buy some paint and start experimenting.
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_8413.jpg  

My Oven Thread