Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Two thumbs up from me... do fish have thumbs?
Seriously looks great!

Rod
Old 10-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dino,
Where did you have your copper flue jacket / flashing fabricated? It might be a bit of a drive, but I'd like to have the option.

Thanks

Chris
Old 10-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Serf

Excellent work on the roof tiles, beautifully done....

regards
Ian...
Old 10-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Master Builder

Amazing! Nice work, Dino!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Rod, Ian and Daren and Chris. It's so nice to have people on the forum appreciate your work. I know years from now friends will be seeing my oven for the 1st time and when I say "I built it" they'll assume it means "I had it built" and say it's nice.

Chris, I had my copper made thru a roofing company called JB Wholesale Roofing and their contractor prices are same as consumers prices. I went to the Chatsworth store but there is also one in Carson and Torrance. JB Wholesale Roofing and Building Supplies - Locations

When I get home tonight I'll post a pdf file of the sketched dimensions of the copper chimney flashing. It worked out well and maybe it will be a good design for anyone to use when they want the 8" duravent to go straight out the top. I'll let you know the price too. -Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks again!!

Chris
Old 10-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is the thru-the-ridge vent collar I had made at local roofing shop. They sent this drawing to their copper/metal flashing people and charged me $160 for this in copper. You could have it made in regular aluminum for less money. I went with copper because I had copper roof nails I was using. It's worked out good for me and my roof so if it's helpful to anyone else, great. Here is a good PDF if you really need it and a blurry pic for a quicky look.
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-thru-roof-flashing.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WFO vent flash thru ridge.pdf (134.9 KB, 251 views)

My Oven Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thank you for the drawing, It'll help a great deal!!

Chris
Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Master Builder

Dino, I can't stop looking at your slate roof. It's great.

Your ridge slates, are they nailed in, or just glued down?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mike, My ridge pieces are not nailed. They are 10" pieces, turned on their side, then cut in half the long way so they are 5" wide. Since they already have 2 punch holes about 3" from the top end, I had to cut the slates short by 3". Therefore my ridge pieces are 5"x13" (maybe a bit shorter). I did use "heavy construction cement" down the middle and clear silicon for the top and sides until it oozed and I cleaned it up. The ridges don't come to a peak. I've got 1 side, the windward side, sliding up over the opposite roof side by about 1/4" or the thickness of the slate so that I don't have a "V" edged siliconed gap at the very peak. The silicon is on the side and no one notices one ridge side 5.125" and the other is 5" long.

Also, my slates at the rake edges have glue and nails since they would have the wind hitting them. The 1st row on the eave has an extra row of slate, upside down, that is glued and nailed too as online instructions show.

I would say every single slat of mine has a globe of silicon on it for cushion. I found the thin slates aren't as flat as thicker slate so I felt I needed the cushion for the rocky slates that you may not need.

Your oven enclosure looks super. Can't wait to see your roof! -Dino

My Oven Thread