Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Dino, I am sure you have answered this before but I coul not find it. What mix did you use for your home brew mortar?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Serf

What a marvellous and detailed thread this is/has been i do hope Mr Dino and partner have lots of fine meals from the oven over the coming years..

I'm sure i'll be back to re-read some of the points along the way again like some of the other Great and i truly mean Great master builders some have become through their oven building journeys..
Old 09-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Matt, sorry about my late replay: went to Tuolumne Meadows for a few days of camping in Yosemite so I just saw your post.

I used the recomended home brew mix of:

1 pt Portland Cement
1 pt Lime
1 pt fireclay
3 pts Fine Sand usually called SILICA #90 (or was it 60?) at the brick-cement stores. I would stay away from Home Depot Play Sand, it looks nothing like the silica sand I bought at the brick yard and I'm really happy with how the mix worked out for me.

Bandrasco, thanks! I was able to hit the roof again yesterday. It's really slow work. I can spend 1/2 hour just picking the right slate that lays the best for that area I'm working on. I kinda don't want to post any pics until I finish and have a chance to rinse all the dust off the roof. I think the final look will be worth the work.

TheOldFox: thanks so much for the compliment. I'm glad you've enjoyed my build. It is fun to see the men and women with their 1st posts on this site saying "I've never done anything like this before..." and a year later, we can all agree they've become master builders.

Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 10-11-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: silica or sand said #90, very fine
Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Laborer

Thanks for the mix design and the reasurance that it will work just fine. The cost of the Refmix was killing me.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Apprentice

Dino, had to check in and see how your build is coming along. Looks great and I applaud the slate roof.

Let me know how the lights work for you as that's the last piece I've gotten around to finishing.

Congrats on a fantastic build and thanks for sharing.

Bill

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 09-30-2009, 02:31 AM
Serf

Bill just took at look at your cooking pics.. man oh man i was drooling over your pics hmm nice looking food..

Mr Dino no thanks was needed for my compliments , praise was given out of my jealousy of your fine wfo... :P

regards..
Ian..

Last edited by TheOldFox; 09-30-2009 at 02:32 AM. Reason: missed my regards..lol
Old 10-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Laborer

Dino,

Just saw your photos of Yosemite. They reminded me of our trip out west last summer(Yosemite, Sequoia, Deah Valley, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest). It's Beautiful Country out there. A must do trip in a life time.

Your dinner photos remind me of Italy... Good Food, Family, Friends and Wine. You seem to be blessed with all 4.

Your oven looks great and appears to be working perfectly by the looks of the delicious dinners.

Congrats!

See My Photos:

My thread:

Old 10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Laborer

Dino,

Tech question on how your smoke is doing. I like your flared entry and vent size. Is this still working for you as far as the smoke goes? Are you getting any out of the front or is it all going up the stack well?

PhotoPlog - Dome and Floor

Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluttropp View Post
Thanks for the mix design and the reasurance that it will work just fine. The cost of the Refmix was killing me.
I've used the homebrew from the beginning. I do have a bag of Heatstop I intend to use for the last 3 chains and keystone, only because it seems to be 'stickier' and it sets quicker. Otherwise I love the texture of the homebrew.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've just returned from a week in Albuquerque NM for the hot air balloon festival so I've missed your posts.

Thanks Bill, I had few on hours Sunday to finish the roof sides (not the ridge and row beneath it) so it's looking nice. The top 2 rows (they are partial slates, not the 16" long slates that make up the rest) have to be nailed in together, thru each other and still be straight so it's slow going. Almost there.

Ian, I think Bills pics are causing LOTS of DROOLING over our keyboards. He really shows us whats possible in these WFOs. BTW: you may call me just plain Dino without the Mr.

Tony: Thanks for the compliments and great job on your oven so far. Round hearth slabs are so cool. I'm with you, we've got so many great Nat'l Parks and you seem to have hit all the good ones last year. You've been to more than I have and I'm jealous . Next year...

Thanks all, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread