Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

This is a post for "rbirchell" since I was not sure how to post a picture attachment in PM. It is a pic of an oven study (NOT MINE) of what a low dome, 36" WFO might look like made primarily for pizza & flat-bread that has "high shoulders". Hope this helps, Dino
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-low-dome-oven-study.jpg  

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Dino,
What I like about Stucco is that the color coat lasts longer than paint. By the time you prep for paint and paint I think you'd find that the time saved by painting you'd use up repainting in a few years.

Just my opinion..

Chris
Old 08-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Peasant

That looks great Dino. I like it. Thanks much.

Originally, I was considering a cut angle on a soldier down about 2.25 then a 5 inch dome rise; for a 14.5 inch dome. But, that seemed almost too low inside. Then I pondered the high soldier with the 5 inch rise on a flat dome to a internal height of 17ish. I wasn't finding any sample images of anyone else doing this. Which made me suspicious that it was a good idea. The outward forces on the soldier with a cut angle might put too much stress over time.

With your layout it sits flat on the soldier and bends over nicely. The load should sit OK. I'm leveling the FB board, and laying out the floor tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Peasant

Dino, what would the angles be like working off of a 4.5 soldier to 16 high dome? Have you done a study on that already? I've seen your drawing around the forum but don't recall the location of that one. I'd like to see it if so.

I'm going to play with some ellipse layouts after I lay tile on the bar today.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ya, I suggest playing with the elipse thing because you prefer a really low dome on your 36" oven and you do want it structurally sound so you don't want to arch over too quickly. Sounds interesting, can't wait to see it once you decide on the size. I'm by no means an expert on low domes so you could start a thread on it and see what others think (but please don't hesitate to ask me or anyone else while we're building ours- my pockets full of two-cent opinions ).
I don't have any other drawing of a low dome but your right, I have seen that too somewhere.

My Oven Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
Wish I could work faster but my slowness helps me check out what Mike (mfiore) is doing 1st .
Oh No! Don't use me as your benchmark for speed! Besides, I'm waiting to see what Daren is doing next

Old 08-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mike, you where mulling over removing your eaves on your oven. Did you end up doing that? After hitting my head and numerous cuts and slices, I've come to really hate those edges. Also, the less hair or balder a person is, the more likely he will hit his head on my eave corners and draw blood. There is a strange gravitational attraction there I can't account for .

Also: NEXT OVEN (next life) if I were to do it all over again:

I could have EASILY made my roof just slightly less steep and shortened those overhanging eaves by 2" or so and I COULD HAVE USED A 4'x8' sheet of roofing plywood instead of having 4'-5" roof side (peak) lengths that required an extra half sheet of board to cut 5" long pieces to place at my ridge. Also, the shorter eaves would save us all the head scars and scraps. And I drew everything up in autocad so I should have seen it and easily found what roof angles a 4' wide sheet would work at. Oh well, the edges are better now that I've got my facia boards up. Pics coming soon!

-Dino

My Oven Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Master Builder

Dino,

I didn't remove the eaves, but I did cut them back 3-4 inches on each side. Once the stone is up, they will be little. I like the balance of that better. I had no intention of the long eaves to begin with, but just used full length metal studs, anticipating I'd be able to cut them back in the future. I have never used CAD. That whole planning ahead thing sort of eludes me. I just cut and screwed and mortared until everything looked right.

I'll post an update on my build link once I get the camera back in gear (who am I kidding, my toddler dropped it, totally bent the telescoped lens. It won't retract anymore. I need a new one!)

What did you use for soffit boards? Fascia?

I know exactly what you mean about scraping my head on the damn metal edges of those eaves. I should have taped a chunk of padding to the end of them. I look like Frankenstein!

Old 08-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I finished the plywood roof & fascia boards. Next is the 30lb roofing felt then nailing on copper flashing & the slate. I wish now I did not go with copper since I can't mix hot-dipped galv nails with copper, but I also can't have copper nails go into my steel studs grrrrr So I have 2 sizes of nails. They have to be long enough to hold the slate in but not so long as to touch a metal framing member below. Asphalt shingles would have been sooo much easier. Slate roof installation is an amazing art/science. I'm glad it's only for my enclosure and not anything larger.

Mike, my fascia boards are 1x6 (.75"x5.5") #2 pine from HD. They were straight and clean & I'll primmer & paint them, so they work. We don't get any snow/ice (call me Captain Obvious) in L.A. and little rain so I think my .7" roof plywood and this fascia board is fine. HD had some clear finished pine that just glowed & I'll use those for the soffits. That will stay unpainted with a clear coat cuz I like what Scott (smuth10) did on his. Once I get the roof on, I'll know what to do for the stone veneer and counter. Cheers, Dino
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_5275.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_5267.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_5268.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_5266.jpg  

My Oven Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Master Builder

Looks great, Dino!! What did you use to attach the pine boards? I don't see any nail or screw heads. Looks nice and clean.

Daren