Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 04:43 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Nice progress! Its a shame to cover up all that metal framing.

That slate/copper combination will look stunning. I still wonder if I made the right decision with the flat roof.

I feel sooo slow, too. But then again I've been at this 2 years longer than you. Quality takes time and it's no fun working on a hot oven!

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Apprentice

Dino, great framing and ribs. What's the recipe (ribs)? I too have noticed a surge in oven builds which is great. I gave up the race long ago. I'm worried I'm going to finish and have nothing else to do...

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 06-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
I feel sooooo sloooooow as I see others on the forum introduce themselves, build and finish thier ovens and start their 1st fires in the time it takes me to post 2 of my longer FB Forum posts. What's up with that?
Dino,
I was just thinking how fast your build was going! You've now officially passed me! I'm also working on those overhangs. Could you please post some detailed photos? What is the "double ridge"?

Do you plan or think there is a need to have vent in the enclosed oven? If so, where do you plan to put one?

Also, give us details on the ribs. I just ruined a slab last night. My apologies to the pig, who died for nothing. I made pizza the night prior, threw in some ribs the next day, added a small piece of wood to rekindle some smoke, partially closed up, and turned it into a dried piece of char! I didn't measure the temps (to lazy to change the battery on my IR gun), and think I underestimated the amount of retained heat I had.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Bill, the ribs are done oven roasted style, not bbq or tomato based. The slab is in shallow glass dish with nothing but 1/4" of water and quartered onion and celery, salt & pepper, touch of olive oil on top and the high heat of the oven (600*) seemed to sear them on top, crisped the fat so it was all edible and the meat kept it's pure pork flavor with slight smokiness, crispy but still moist inside.

Christo, I know what you mean about the steel framing so I put in a door in the rear for the electircal transformer and I can see my stud work anytime!

Mike, Sorry about the dry ribs. It sounds like they stayed in too long. I've been scorching 75% of my pizza bottoms/middle but think I've got a solution last night: mop the floor if it's over 700 or keep my dough discs not so thin.
RE: oven enclosure vent, yes, I think I have to have one. My roof will be black slate and that gets hot. Also, I'm going to use roofing plywood under it and there is a remote chance of delamination on the plywood if it gets too warm. I'll put in an eve vent towards the rear on the side and a gable style vent in the back that nobody sees. What are planning for roof? Below is a pic of the 3 vents I bought. I'll think I'll use the little round one at the top. Also, see my other fun toys: the slate and my custom copper vent collar I had made.
Thanks Dino
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_3402.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_3337.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_3329.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_3354.jpg  

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Apprentice

The slate roof and copper are going to look great. Can't wait to see how the roof is installed.

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 06-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Laborer

Dino, the oven looks outstanding. I love the copper and slate look. It looks like you are going to put lights on the sides as well. I hope I don't regret not doing that, but I have my oven in a small area and didn't think I would need them.

Looking forward to seeing that slate and copper trim!

Old 06-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Apprentice

That is a nice looking build you got going Dino. If the wires are for lights, that is a great idea. I did not run lights and I have to resort to a puny LED magnetic light that is not nearly bright enough. I'm trying to figure out how to run lights without having to do too electrical work.

Your roof with the flashing are going to look fantastic.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Bill, Scott and Steve. Steve, I was just going over you web album earlier today and enjoyed your build. Scott, your rectangular lights in the soffit look great. I'm only installing 2 recessed, low voltage small can lights in the front. I'm just running the LV cable around the frame so it looks like they are in the rake eves but aren't.
Bill, I'm with you, can't wait to see how I do it either. The things you learn about building a WFO. Last year, I never would have thought I'd be reading and asking about everything I can find on Slate Roof Installation for covering what looks like a 50 square foot out-house.
Mike (mfiore) asked me about the twin ridges I have in my roof. Here is a pic of it, I'm pointing at 1 of them. Also, here is a pic of 2 roof trusses and what I've been told is the better way to make them: The cross beam should be as whole as possible, don't cut the sides and create dog-ears of flaps (if possible) so you keep the framing member. The cross beam can be screwed on the outside of the truss (upper example in the pic) since you don't see it on the roof and the outer truss can be cut into the frame (lower example).
Thanks again, Dino
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_3333.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_3310.jpg  

My Oven Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Apprentice

Dino, have you picked out your lights yet?

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 06-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ya Bill, I ordered 2 lights at $34.50 each from

[url=http://www.homecenter.com

Type in "recessed lights" in the search in it's on the 2nd or 3rd page #9409-12. 2 others look similar but are not weather proof.

That should take you right to the fixture. Its listed for wet location, low voltage so I just used "malibu" cable I had laying around. They are still being shipped to me so when I get them I'll let you know how good this company is. I'm hoping it works out like other super small recessed lights I've installed my house, just drill a little hole, connect the LV cable and it clips into the raw drywall or plaster. Take care, Dino
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-wp-recessed-lv-lt.jpg  

My Oven Thread