Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Dino,

Roughly how much wood would you say you used? 1 cubic foot, 5 cubic feet .....

As always thanks for the details on your build it has helped me a lot. I am just about to wrap up the construction of the cinderblock portion of the stand. I hope to pour the oven slab next weekend. I am well on my way but I spend a lot of time second quessing myself.

matt
Old 06-16-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
I found some great ceramic blanket for something like $50 ( should be enough to add 2" over my 39" inside diameter dome) but I am not sure I like the idea of that stuff getting all compressed and sopping wet when I add my vermiculite/portland layer.
It's pretty standard to put a layer of vermiculite concrete over your blanket. It's not that heavy so it's not going to compress the blanket, and it shouldn't get it more than damp. No problem.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lars, I did not use any vermiculite/conc on my oven so I'm not familiar with it but like David-dmun said it wont get wet like you think. Great price on the insulation too!

Thanks Christo, we're still learning how best to feed the fire with wood, do yo wait until it's time to top off your glass of wine or wait until you refill it but use larger pieces of wood? Maybe it has nothing to do with drinking at all ....?

John: your lamb roast sounds fantastic! I feel I have not yet experienced the big "O" in WFO cooking until I roast a lamb, make a pizza with those REAL anchovies packed in salt from Spain and make oysters Rockefeller in the oven. I like how you roasted your meats 1st then cranked it up for pizza, I'll have to try it that way too.

Matt, about the wood for my 4-5 hour fire: I guess I used about 12-15 3" max pieces of lemon wood, some thinner, most 1-2' long. But I definetly could have been more consistent in feeding the fire (see my note to Christo above) Thanks everyone, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 06-18-2009 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Fixed dmuns name to David
Old 06-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dino,
I have a question on a couple of things.
First, Did you cut the bricks for both the latitude and the longitude of the oven? Some seem to just accept the pie shaped mortar.
Second, How much Mortar did you finally use?
Third, those look like Pacific Clay fire bricks, are they, how did you find the consistency of these?

Thanks in advance!

SCChris
Old 06-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Chris, congratulations on starting your build!

Yes, I cut the sides into pie shapes and yes, I tapered the bottoms 3-6 deg's to get my inward tilt as I went up. I did not try to go mortar-less but wanted to avoid using expensive mortar thickening towards the back of the brick for tilting them. LOTS of others do that, it's a good way, works fine.
You could taper the sides (and do the compound side taper as well to reduce the inverted V's) and not do the bottoms but be sure to use some sort of "indispensable tool" or small brick wedges to keep your bricks level around each ring. When you tapper the bottoms, you rely less on mortar for tilting and the thin mortar you place on the brick bottoms will not throw you off level. I did 2 rows using the mortar to do less brick cutting on the bottoms but could have done a better job at keeping them level.

Mortar: I ordered FB's Refmix, 4 bags (they are 25 or 30 lbs each ? Can't remember) and would have used another 1 1/2 bags but FB temporarily ran out and I bought home brew mix (fine sand, fire clay, Portland cement, lime) a bag of each and have used 25% of it to finish up. I've heard HeatStop 50 comes in 50lb bags so a smaller oven might get by with 2 of those. I love the old Refmix but would build again with home brew anytime.

I used Muddox bricks, I really like the brick composition for some reason. I'n not thrilled about its slight "wavy" sides but it worked fine but gave me bigger floor gaps. Here is a link to what I said about it, about 3 posts down.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/f...tion-6810.html (Fire brick question)

Gook on your build, it's going to be great. Dino

My Oven Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the link info on the bricks. I'll take a look at the choices again. My biggest concern would be mixing different brick types in the dome structure, but using the Pacific as the floor and the Muddox in the dome seems to make some sense.

Thanks

Chris
Old 06-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Laborer

Hi Dino
I see that you cut the tops of your soldier course. What angle did you use and how did you come up with it? This is the next phase of my build and I want to make sure that I don’t make the angle too steep.
Regards
Larry
Old 06-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Larry, I cut my soldier course 1-3/8" down on the inside. Now remember: that is with my soldier course ON THE OUTSIDE, NOT on top of the oven floor. I don't know which way you are planning to do it but with my full brick on the outside, the soldier brick has a 5-1/8" rise that faces the inside of the dome (equals a 9" brick when you add in the 2" FB board I used under it). And doing this on a 42" oven floor, it seems to me to work out great. If I had a slightly smaller oven, I might then cut the soldier course with a less steep angle (not that I think my angle is sharp or steep at all.)

Many on this forum use half bricks for the soldier course and it works fine. I thought with a 42" oven, that having some soldier course hieght was good for having larger roasting pans (Le Cruset style stuff) but now realize that you never put more than 1 or 2 tall pots in the middle for overnight slow cooking so it all works out.

Hope this helps out, looking forward to seeing your oven build! thanks, Dino

My Oven Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:33 AM
Laborer

Thanks Dino
I just wanted to make sure that I was in the ballpark. I'm also putting the soldier course outside the oven floor and I'm building a 42" oven. I calculated approx. 5 1/4" rise. I've been sitting here for weeks with a pallet of firebricks wringing my hands not wanting to make a mistake. I've sketched out the oven on paper over and over. Thanks again this puts my mind somewhat at ease.

Regards
Larry
Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think I've finished ALL the steel stud framing I plan on using. Overhanging the front gable 12" in front and 6" in back really threw me. I thought it was obvious but took more time to make sure it transferred the load to the roof members behind them. I installed a "double-ridge" that tied it all together. Here are 2 picks, I'll take a few more when I clean up the area. i've got a peek-a-boo door in the rear that's really nice for the electrical I'll post soon.

I've been buying my cement board, roofing plywood, black slate, copper flashing and proper screws to drill through durock & plywood, and then drill into steel studs. I've also had fabricated a custom flashing for the dura-vent made of copper to use on my slate roof. It's all very exciting but I've also got 10 people over this Sat for a pizza fest and swim, so the enclosure is going slower but hey, firing up the oven is an exciting event.

PS: I feel sooooo sloooooow as I see others on the forum introduce themselves, build and finish thier ovens and start their 1st fires in the time it takes me to post 2 of my longer FB Forum posts. What's up with that?

(The 2nd pick are the BEST roasted pork ribs I've ever had. Had NO idea they would come out this much better than my regular oven...which were great to begin with, man, I love WFO cooking!!!) Cheers all, Dino
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_3324.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_3320.jpg  

My Oven Thread