Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 08:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Unless you stick your head inside a lot, you really do forget they're there. You're just so glad it works well and it's such fun to use, the flaws in construction just sort of fade...

And this is coming from one who did no extra cutting, so I have some real "pointy spots"!

And besides, when he's finished with the dome, then there's the door to consider... I spend much more time these days plotting about a new door. The handles came off mine..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

OK, I've come accept and love my "pointy-bits" and will leave them be. They're kinda cool looking in the pics.

I've finished ROW 8. These are my 1st almost "vertical" bricks. With 2 people it's not hard to do. 1 just has to hold 2 bricks while I mortar the 3rd and by then they are holding fine. My 9th row will be only 22 3rd cut bricks (LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL!!!)

I'm running out of my 4th bag of Refmix so I decided to make the extra angle cuts to reduce the mortar to make sure I had enough for these rows.

And Elizabeth is correct: I've got worry about what to do for a door. So many of you had extra ceramic insulation board to play with and make a door built with that sandwiched between other materials but I have non left.
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dscn3284.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dscn3277.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dscn3290.jpg  

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I just called Forno Bravo to check on my Refmix order and they said it will be 2-3 weeks before their next shipment. UGGGH! I was hoping on closing my dome up this weekend.

I've called 3 dozen places in Los Angeles and Orange counties and nobody caries Heat Stop. Has anyone purchased any Heat Stop in southern California? I'll keep Googling and making more calls.

Thanks, Dino

My Oven Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Apprentice

Here is a list of all Heat Stop dealers in California.
Google is a great tool!
Heat Stop - High Temperature Resistent Refractory Mortar
Old 04-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Journeyman

Dino,
Making the homemade stuff is easy and a whole lot cheaper. I thought it worked great. Waiting 2 weeks could get frustrating. By the way, your dome is looking great!

Mark
Old 04-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Mark, I've been reading others post on the homebrew mortar mix and I don't know which way to go yet. Did you use the Portland Cement home mix or did you have access to Calcium Aluminate?

And thanks John for the Heat Stop source list. Litterally NONE of them within a 3 hours of me carries it. But they did show me how to directly get it from the manufacturer however it's twice what I will need yet is comprabable in price to Refmix.

The nice folks at the Forno Bravo Store are working on a solution for me so I think I'll cut my next row as tight as possible to reduce joints even more and see how much Refmix is left. Maybe completely cut and dry-fit my chimney anchor plate and then I'll work on the not-so-sexy stuff like fill the little vertical gaps in my block stand with cement where I interspersed the 8" cmu's.

We've had 3, very dry just under 100 degree days so the dome is drying out nicely . Thanks everyone, Dino

My Oven Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Master Builder

Dino,
I offer no advice here. I've been silently following your build throughout and am excited to see it closing up. Looks great!

Old 04-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Mike, hey you guys in MI are finally thawing out! 80 deg weather sounds like a pizza oven party weekend to me!
I ran out of the Refmix 3 bricks short of 9th row completion. Backorded for 2-3 weeks and I called 30 stores re: Heat stop to no avail. So, I bought the home brew mix last night, did a small test batch and mortared a few pieces to see what happens this morning. It is very strong, bonded well but still has moisture in it and you can rub a glob with your fingers and rough it up. Unlike Refmix, were a glob dries to hard glassy rock in a few hours. I guess the cement in it sand hold moisture and it has to "cure" a bit.
My plan is to hopefully do rows 10 and 11 and see if a plug will finish it or still another row. Wow, I'm so stoked!

The pics below show how a 2nd pair of eyes is good to find things you might have missed in the dome yourself. What a pain she was on this row!
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_2638.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_2637.jpg  

My Oven Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Journeyman

How kind, you built a giant fishbowl just for her, clearly!

I, too, ended up using homebrew for the last few courses. I had to be a little more careful, but it definitely worked for me. If only I'd known I was going to run out and decide to be too cheap to buy another bag at the very end, I could have started with some homrebrew.

I used Thermal Ceramics brand refractory mortar. I don't know how widely available it is, but it was the only refractory mortar the local brickyard here could readily get for me. They could special order heatstop or refmix, but the cost would have been about twice the Thermal Ceramics. Just one more option for you.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Apprentice

Unhappy Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Dino
It's really takes a special person to put all this time into building a house for your cat....

looks great, I am jealous. I am also backordered on the refmix, but still have a bag left. FB said i might see it mid may. Seems like a good time to switch to putting up the archs. More thinking required and less mortar should slow me down for a few weeks.

I can see your new thumbnails, but all you old photos, like mine, are gone. Checked from three different computers all with different firewalls and browsers. Houston (Les) we have a problem........

Click to see my Thread:

Click to see Google web album: