Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 05:01 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Dino, your tie-ins to the arch look great. Pay close attention here, this is where the eye can fool you and many of us end up with a little tear drop shape or dip by the arch. It's tough to keep circle.

Great build so far!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Apprentice

Dino, you've become a master mason. Great work on the arch and vent. You're in the home stretch.

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 03-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Bill, it does feel like a home stretch. I've been analyzing your photo's to see how to transit to the anchor plate. Thanks for posting those pics!

And Mike, you made me go back to check my tie in and 1 side is bit droopy. I got so caught up in the cut I forgot how easy it is to fall into the teardrop. I'll watch it really carefully on the next ring.

I've go a short Palm Springs vacation and wine country is calling me too. I'd almost rather just stay home and work on the dome but I'm trying to be balanced. These longer days sure help for making progress during the week.
Thanks again for the encouragement guys. Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Laborer

Dino,
your oven is definately the work of an artisan.
I have my stand poured and will be building the forms for the hearth tomorrow. I hope you do not mind but I intend to copy your build as closely as possible. I have one question - what is your total firebrick count and the amount of refractory mortar you think you will use? I intend to buy mine in the next few weeks and need an idea of how many.

Thanks a bunch.

Gavin
Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Gavin, I've been on a short vacation for a few days, so sorry I didn't get back to you earlier.

I bought a total of 280 firebricks. I think I will use it all except 5-10. I would say I totally ruined 6 bricks that that have no possible use.

I've purchased 4 bags of Refmix and I'm on my last half of a bag. I'll be ordering a 5th bag and will only need a portion of it but what can I do. I really like the stuff, it's very strong. I had to throw some when bricks fell or I mortared the wrong side. 4 bags might have worked.

The current row I'm working on I've sliced the bottom brick from front to back AND tapered the sides a bit to remove the inverted V's and there is very little mortar used. My row under that (see a few posts of mine before this) I experimented with only a slight cut on the bottom and used mortar to help tilt the brick up and in to the dome and filled the large V gaps with mortar. It was easy, seems like a perfectly good way to go but it did eat up A LOT of mortar this way.

I'll be looking for your start thread and be sure to post pics when you can. This is a great forum and the people on it are fantastic. Lot's of helpful folks out there and let me know what else you may need about my build.
Take care, Dino

My Oven Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Duratec anchor plate sandwitched

I was thinking about not fully mortaring my anchor plate (8" duratec) nor going with the tap-cons screwed in. I already cut out (actually tin snipped half-and hammered back and flat) the 1/2" collar that sticks out below the anchor plate. I thought that I would sandwich the flange between 2 bricks maybe using a brick split for the top part of the "sandwich" but I would not mortar the 2 bricks really solidly across them. I would stop about 1/2" from the edge of the flange and make my mortar about 1/4" thick so that the flange and 8" durateck pipe could expand and not put any pressure on the bricks but still be locked in place. Here's a picture of what I'm trying to explain.
Or is this not an issue if I've trimmed away the collar and keep the mortor away from the round chimeny so it can expand even with the tap-cons into the brick?
Any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-anchore-plate-section.jpg  

My Oven Thread

Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 04-03-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've finally completed my 6th ring. I BELIEVE I "hung" it on the arch. I was able to avoid the dreaded "droop" however I couldn't avoid the "drunken zig-zag". The 5 bricks that span the arch fit very well together even though the 3 in the middle do rise and fall slightly. But, it is really solidly sitting on the arch. I happy and relieved to have gotten thru this small milestone.

I'm still at 21" from the center so my 7th and 8th course will hopefully flatten it out to 20" somehow. Well, that's the goal.
Cheers, Dino
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_2456.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_2460.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-dsc_2449.jpg  

My Oven Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Peasant

Dino,

Your 6th row looks great! Really tight and clean mortar joints, nice job. I don't think the zig-vag is a concern at all - you will never see it after the next course. On to the home stretch...I'll bet your very excited.

Congratulations,

Joe
Old 04-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Apprentice

Looks great and the pizza's will not mind the zig zag!
Old 04-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Journeyman

Dino,
I can't believe no one has commented on the pic with the cat! Is that photo shopped. Can you really fit inside the oven? Am I missing something? I know you are building a 42" pompeii.

Mark