Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Serf

Default Re: Debating between Pompeii and Modular build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
Note: FWIW, the medium and high duty bricks wear blades a lot faster, and cut slower, than light duty bricks, which is all you need. The significant difference between the low and medium duty bricks, in our application, is their ability to accomodate high temperatures -something unnecessary at the tempertures you will use in your oven. Money wasted.
From what I read, besides the higher thermal rating, the Alsey bricks are just in general better made, more of a true refractory brick rather than a 2000deg fire rated brick. Supposedly they have less issues with spalling, reduced thermal expansion, better re-radiation, and the overall best longevity. I saw mention of people paying ~$1.60 for Alsey bricks, which isn't much more than the other light-duty bricks around here. To me paying $80 more for better bricks is worth it, especially if it means possibly better longevity and lower risk of cracking from the heat cycling, not to mention it's still much less than the shipping cost for FB brick.

I stopped by a yard today and they carried Pacific Clay, Muddox and Superior/McNear firebricks and there was a visible difference between the 3 brands. The PC brick is very porous and pinkish with some consistency issues, the Muddox was tan and the least porous. While the Superior was in-between and had the best consistency, but is way more expensive. However it does come in 5 or 6 colors which you could use to spice up the entry arch and front hearth, and/or to match other brick/stone/stucco you may use for the support/enclosure.

Last edited by das; 04-02-2011 at 05:25 PM.