Old 05-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Laborer

Default Re: David's Pompeii

I had a good day yesterday, cutting some brick for the entrway and making the reveal for the door. The next focus will be on whether or not I'll build an arch or simply lay the doorway flat. I'm leaning towards flat because I will be covering the finished firebrick with other brick and stone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Laborer

It's Spring. Our fourth boy being born took me away from my oven progress, but I'm back at it and today was a good day. I'll post some pictures soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Laborer

This is after two days of work. A lot of progress but I hit a bump when I noticed the peak of the dome was beginning to look tear drop shaped. I am afraid I didn't angle the bricks close to the flue enough. I had to remove them and will make some cuts the next time I work on it.

My wife picked up an exercise ball today so I can finish off the top of the dome. I would love some feedback. After all this work I'm convinced I'm doing it wrong and the whole things is going to collapse. But, I worry like that.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Laborer

just a thought you might want a collector area before your flue

trying to get mine figured out also

most builds have a funnel to catch the smoke and direct it up
Old 06-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Laborer

I did my first curing fire tonight. Very exciting. It's very tempting to keep the fire going and throw some wood on it...but in time. I was impressed with the draw to the chimney; although, some smoke came through the front opening.

All in all a very exciting evening.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Master Builder

Congratulations!!

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 06-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Apprentice

Nice one Dave! My flue also lacks a funnel area, but it still draws strongly - you will get a small percentage of the smoke exit through the front but that shouldn't matter at all.

I'm also curing my oven at the moment - really looking forward to pizza soon!

Old 06-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Laborer

I'm in my 5th curing fire so I had to cook something today. I just cut up some yellow squash, put a little olive oil, garlic powder and salt/pepper. My fire wasn't lit too long, so when the flame died out I just put the pan right on the coals.

I was so into the whole process of it cooking and how long it would take that I forgot about the flavor. I don't want to be gushing over it but the first thing I noticed was the smoke/wooded flavor.

It just reminded me why I started this whole process and how much I have to look forward to. It was a nice little taste test.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Apprentice

Like you, I've been trying to put the curing fires to some good use and cook some simple things. I have never tasted such delicious corn cobs!

Old 06-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Laborer

With my 7th curing fire set, I will be cooking my first brick oven pizza in about 10-15 minutes. This has been a two year process that has made me bleed, sweat and cry. The fire looks beautiful. I have pushed it to the left side and will soon drop a pizza on it for cooking.

A special thank you to James and this website for all that it is, and also a thank you to all members, past and present, that have contributed on this forum, making it a very valuable and helpful resource for getting the job done.

I'm excited and thankful.