Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dave's Pics of Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
I agree with Frances. I think the insulation will cut down your firewood consumption too.

Fresh ingredients are the key to great food. Only used prepared sauce if your too pushed for time to do it the Italian way. (and don't forget the Olio de Oliva)
George
I didn't forget the olive oil on my second pizza bake. ! I remembered at the last minute thanks to you.

I did however forget to pick up a few more cans of Marzano tomatoes....

But I won't forget before the next bake.

Thanks George! Are you closing in yet? Literally...

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 11-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Journeyman

Dave

HEB also carries its own brand of organic San Marzano tomatoes. They are supposed to be imported from Italy. The have the D.O.P. stamp on them as well.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You already saw my closing.

My pizza sauce recipe is done from memory and kinda changes every time. The San Marzano tomatoes are supposed to be the best. I've never used them. If I can get fresh Roma tomatoes, I put them in a food processor and make sauce out of them (better if you blanch and remove the skins and seeds), then simmer for 30 ish min. with Oregano, sugar (just a pinch), plenty of Basil, garlic (garlic, garlic) , S &P to taste. In a pinch, I use canned tomatoes, diced, Italian style with herbs already added, then put it in a food processor and add all the other ingredients as well. Just a thin layer on the pizza with a moderate amount of mozzarella, then whatever else you want. Eggs, peas, artichoke, sausage....(the list is incredible, and includes almost none of the norms in the US) are all very common in Sicily.

My fav is a more greek style with Mozzarella, Fetta cheese( and oz. or two crumbled), Kalamata olives, Parmesian (a little), red onion which carmelizes really nicely in a hot oven, and olive oil at the end of course.

Try that sometime. I'm miles behind you before I make my first.
George

-
Old 11-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

George,

I will have to try that.

Sounds awesome.

I may have missed something.... were you born in Italy or did you live there before... Sometimes I feel so uncultured here... (is that a word)?

But I do, at times, feel like I live in such a small box. Is it just me?

The next pizza.......... I'm making it like you do George. By gosh.. it better be good! I am always up for new stuff.

Got a recipe for smoked salmon or salmon pizza?

Thanks in advance!
And please send me one of those huge Steelheads. I accept C.O.D. Please place it on dry ice.
Or you could just invite me sometime for fishing...........I can dang near catch my hat with my fly rod. Tough sport to learn.

I want fire pics George.

Good luck man!

Keep the patience. Slow going from here.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 11-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
I agree with Frances. I think the insulation will cut down your firewood consumption too. <snip> George
In addition to the improvements to your firing that insulation brings, as you drive the last bit of remaining moisture out of you oven, the overall performance of the oven just gets better and better. And just because it looks dry, doesn't mean it is.

J W
Old 11-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnorris View Post
In addition to the improvements to your firing that insulation brings, as you drive the last bit of remaining moisture out of you oven, the overall performance of the oven just gets better and better. And just because it looks dry, doesn't mean it is.

J W
Thanks JW.

I look forward to using less wood!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dave,
Two Navy tours in Sicily. 5 years total. Best food in the world in my opinion. Worst drivers though - anything goes, especially in Naples.

Try smoked salmon in a cream sauce over pasta. Mmmmmm. (Cooks.com) It would probably be good on pizza, though I've never seen it.

I'm going to wait for about a week for the first fire. It is really damp out here and supposed to rain for the next 5 or so days. I finished that dome just in time. I'm thinking about putting an electric heater in there to dry it out a bit faster.

I put mortar cladding on the back yesterday and noticed that it wicked right through the mortar joints to the inside of the dome at the level of the soldier and first course. There's still a lot of moisture in there.

Steelhead aren't that easy to come by. Somedays you just get lucky.
G.

-
Old 11-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got home today.

I found a big box outside.

Here is what I found.
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's Pics of Progress-xmas-1.jpg  

My costs:

My pics:

Old 11-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I had to open..

It was tough..

Lots of tape and packing material.
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's Pics of Progress-xmas-2.jpg   Dave's Pics of Progress-xmas-3.jpg   Dave's Pics of Progress-xmas-4.jpg   Dave's Pics of Progress-xmas-5.jpg  

My costs:

My pics:

Old 11-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

and what could it be?

A gift of love from my family.

I can't quite find the words... their support their love.. the help.... awesome!

Thanks to my family !
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's Pics of Progress-100_0638.jpg  

My costs:

My pics: