Default Re: Dave's Northern Virginia Build

Just flip them over.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Just flip them over.
I hate to say it, but I didn't think of that. In theory, I wouldn't have to cut any more bricks if I flipped the whole thing over.

Dave
Old 11-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great idea! Flip them and the fireclay water mix should make it level. Dave, that was one scary mother *#!@er of a grinding wheel you showed in the picture. It would be hard for anyone keep a deft touch with that. You should find yourself a standard, smaller 4" masonry grinding wheel cuz it it'll be useful in so many places later on. And as I said, just grind whatever catches (if anything does) on a pizza peel. As Tscarborough said, it is best keep the finish on the bricks in tact with their harder, fired finish if you can. Especially on a floor you're likely to drag cast iron casserole cookware across and everything else we do to these things.
Also, Gregs got a good point. From your pics, the actual brick gaps look normal and they will fill up with ash. It's OK for spaces between bricks, the oven floor expands and needs gaps to move in to. If there are irregular chips occasionally in the gaps from the cutting wheel, they could be fine if nothing catches on them. Good luck, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 04:32 AM
Apprentice

The floor bricks are out. I'll make a template to see if they will fit back in on the flip side or if I have to fine tune a bit.

I also added a few more bricks to the Joe inspired "Double Wide" entry and I'll cut the notch in the floor for the reveal this time.

Thanks for all the support on this SNAFU

Dave

P.S. What size notched trowel should I use for the floor mix? I went with 1/2x1/2 the first time and it seemed to work ok, I am pretty sure pebbles in the sand were the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's Northern Virginia Build-bricksnearlyout.jpg   Dave's Northern Virginia Build-floorwashed.jpg   Dave's Northern Virginia Build-bricksflipped.jpg   Dave's Northern Virginia Build-entry.jpg  

Last edited by DaveW; 11-16-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Apprentice

The Floor is back in! It has been awhile but I just couldn't get this strange image out of my head (photo two)......
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's Northern Virginia Build-levelthumb.jpg   Dave's Northern Virginia Build-closeencounter.jpg  
Old 11-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Now that's quite a level oven floor! Did you have to grind anything or did the 1/2" screeding trowel float it enough?

The double wall does look cool too. -Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Dino,
Per recommendation by a friend I used a 1/4 inch notched trowel instead. I told him "But that won't give me as much room for adjustment." to which he replied "exactly, less room to screw it up"

No grinding so far.

I got the second chain in today and a few more bricks for the arch. If I can find the time tomorrow, I will work some more.
Dave
Old 11-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Apprentice

Between rain showers I made some progress today. My wife says my smaller keystone is slightly off center. Hopefully it won't bother her once I add the red brick decorative arch in front (third arch is the charm-I hope). I also tapered the the bricks in the third chain which saved a lot of expensive mortar.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's Northern Virginia Build-innerdone.jpg   Dave's Northern Virginia Build-outerdone.jpg   Dave's Northern Virginia Build-thirdchain2.jpg  
Old 11-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Apprentice

I find myself bonding with my oven. Just like me it is ugly on the outside, prettier on the inside...
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's Northern Virginia Build-halfigloo.jpg  

Last edited by DaveW; 11-27-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: forgot picture
Old 11-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Dave's Northern Virginia Build

Dave,
a little subtle advice mate after looking at your picture.
Stagger your brick joints in a stretcher bond pattern will give you a much stronger dome with less chance of long straight weakening cracks.
You can achieve this by cutting the odd brick and retaining the preferred 50% overlap of the underlying mortar joint.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway