Old 11-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Dave's Northern Virginia Build

Hi Joe,
I liked your entry design so much I printed a copy and used it for a guide. However, I did not notch the floor for the inner arch (because I was lazy.) I am hoping that if the floor expands outward it will shear the small amount of mortar on the floor before it pushes the arch outward. I am particularly concerned with arch strength because I will have a masonry chimney. Although, I will further support the chimney with some angle iron just to be on the safe side.

Dave

Last edited by DaveW; 11-12-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Journeyman

I wasn't sure if anyone would follow that idea or not. I thought we should name the wider sides to the entry arch the "double wide."

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Really nice build Dave. Good use of steel and concrete and that bond beam...wow, your wfo base and outdoor kitchen will be really solid and strong.

I just noticed your ovens floor (the herringbone) it looks like you have laid the oven floor bricks on their side, not flat. Was that intentional with the thought of longer retained heating for serious bread backing? Just curious since so much discussion goes on here about heat up times for the thicker oven walls/floors. Or are you using thinner bricks and it's just an illusion that the floor is more than 2.5" tall?

Great job! Puppy is cute. -Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great, nicely engineered. I would clean the coved fireclay off at the entry though, if possible. It is feathered and that won't last.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
... it looks like you have laid the oven floor bricks on their side, not flat. Was that intentional ....
Puppy is cute. -Dino
They are standard firebricks laid on edge. I felt like we might want the extra mass for bread. My thought was that I would rather use more wood than wish for more mass later. However, I am not convinced that I made the right decision.

It seems like puppy (espresso) is pretty popular. His favorite game is to steal my tools and run off with them...He becomes more of a puppy every day.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's Northern Virginia Build-espressorope.jpg  
Old 11-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yup, I've already experienced having to re-fire at the all-night pizza fests.

You're right: just add a bit more wood. After it's fully cured and insulated, it surprises you how much/big of a fire you can get going in there. It'll just suck it up and release it all night. Enjoy the building process, it's quite a ride! -Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Apprentice

Default now I've done it!

I think I will pull up my floor. I was in a hurry to set the floor bricks and did a lousy job of getting them level. So I decided to grind the floor smooth with a grinder. The only diamond wheel I could find at Home Depot was a 7 inch one with the cutters tangent to the wheel. For whatever reason the grinder chipped the bricks and opened up the gaps allowing the dust to fall in.

When I think of all the work ahead of me I just can't bear to have a floor in this state. So, tomorrow I will likely rip out the bricks and try again.

An adventure it is.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's Northern Virginia Build-floor-008.jpg   Dave's Northern Virginia Build-floor-011.jpg   Dave's Northern Virginia Build-floor-013.jpg  
Old 11-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Peasant

Dave,

They don't really look all that bad... I'm wondering if the gaps will fill up with ash pretty quickly and leave you with a smooth floor? Or you could pour some fireclay back over the surface, and tap around with a rubber mallet to fill up the cracks. That's what I did to fill any small gaps.

Or since you have your bricks on edge, you could use a different grinder and see if you can get it smoother before ripping it all out!? I could mail you my diamond cup wheel if you want to give that a shot... let me know!

Greg
Old 11-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A note on brick, no matter what type. There is usually a 1/4" or less of true vitrified material before the soft inner portion of the brick begins. It is better to lay the floor in a mortar bed and get it right rather than to try and true it by grinding.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
A note on brick, no matter what type. There is usually a 1/4" or less of true vitrified material before the soft inner portion of the brick begins. It is better to lay the floor in a mortar bed and get it right rather than to try and true it by grinding.
I did notice that the inner part of the brick seems more prone to giving up dust. I think I will chalk it up to experience and re-do it.

Greg,

thanks for the encouragement and the offer to send the disc but I think I want to take another shot at setting the floor.

If this one doesn't work I will break down and buy the large tiles from FB.

Dave

Dave