Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dannos Limey Build (Suffolk UK)

Bookemdanno,
You have trapped a lot of water in that insulation layer, and have only left the vermicrete for a week to dry. You should be able to work out how much water is trapped in there if you look at the experiment I did with vermicrete on # 58. Ask yourself how much fire you'd need to boil that amount of water dry. However, fire will eventually drive it out. If the outer shell feels hot to the touch this will be your indicator that the insulation is still wet. Don't give the fire any more flame if this happens. Also if you see any steam rising from the oven back off with the flame. Long very gentle prolonged fires are the way to go. I'd guess you would need more than a dozen of these, but use the oven to do some roasting and baking along the way, just don't aim for the high temp pizza fire, unless you want a cracked outer shell. If it does it's not the end of the world, the outer shell is only to keep the weather from getting in and wetting your insulation. you can always render over it again.
Good luck,
Dave

Last edited by david s; 10-14-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

To David S.

Dave,
I work with steam on my day job. We use it for heat, pressurizing and as a means of lowering atmospheric pressure to almost a complete vacuum. Water droplets rapidly turning to steam take up a sht load more amount of space . I am paraphrasing you in this statement . It will also exert the same amount of force inwardly when collapsing back to the water droplet state.

Quote:
just don't aim for the high temp pizza fire, unless you want a cracked outer shell. If it does it's not the end of the world, the outer shell is only to keep the weather from getting in and wetting your insulation. you can always render over it again

What are your thoughts on a relief hole from the outer shell to the depth of the fiber insulation layer to help relieve some of the forces? My build will incorporate a permanent relief at the apex of the dome which I hope will aid in current and future moisture problems One that could easily be sealed once the curing is complete. Even, in slowly ramping the curing fires up, would not a relief hole help give the moisture a place to go, which might help with a faster drying process?

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 10-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Master Builder

Hi Joe,

I'm confused! I viewed your Web Album, and your build is according to plans. You have your finished dome insulated, then vcrete filled enclosure. It seems to me that your permanent relief, if it goes all the way to your ceramic blanket, will cause a cycle of wetting your ceramic blanket from the condensation of water vapors, when the moisture from the vcrete cools.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have incorporated a vent in the outer shell in the surround that supports the flue pipe, by making two terra cotta collars. It works pretty well, but you still need to eliminate most of the water after the initial build. If a lot of the water in the vermicrete layer decides to turn suddenly to steam the whole layer expands and a little hole at the top won't be enough if the vermicrete layer has already been covered with stucco/ render.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:35 AM
Apprentice

I'll just take it easy guys, i think. But, i failed miserably when i did that before!

My Hydraulic Lime based build allows a far greater ability for vapour to pass freely back and forth as is the old fashion way. Don't fight it, work with it.
The Magnesium Stearate adds a level of water resistance from the exterior but not as with Cement based products, a waterproofing layer both ways.
Think an animal fleece, such as sheeps wool and the Lanolin not a Tortoise Shell.

Thank you guys, i will hopefully take the seasoning as slow as i can.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I'll just take it easy guys, i think. But, i failed miserably when i did that before!

My Hydraulic Lime based build allows a far greater ability for vapour to pass freely back and forth as is the old fashion way. Don't fight it, work with it.
The Magnesium Stearate adds a level of water resistance from the exterior but not as with Cement based products, a waterproofing layer both ways.
Think an animal fleece, such as sheeps wool and the Lanolin not a Tortoise Shell.

Thank you guys, i will hopefully take the seasoning as slow as i can.
Danno,
Sorry for the hijacking.It is great to hear that you will take slow .
David, Laurentius , thank you both for your responses. I will continue this back on my thread, (when my camera battery is recharged ).

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 10-16-2012, 02:46 AM
Apprentice

No worries Gulf! I don't mind!

I think that all ovens could be subject to an amount of condensation build up within the ceramic blanket layer purely due to the trapped air?
Just like in a roof void without vertilation above any insulation layer.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post

I think that all ovens could be subject to an amount of condensation build up within the ceramic blanket layer purely due to the trapped air?
True, air is 99% water, I read it somewhere on the internet, so it must be true.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
(when my camera battery is recharged ).
Dont forget to change the filum too.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:22 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
True, air is 99% water, I read it somewhere on the internet, so it must be true.
Hmmm, if that's the case why do have such trouble breathing underwater?