Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 03:11 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Dannos Limey Build (Suffolk UK)

If you're really worried about moisture, then paint it with two or three coats of an acrylic exterior paint, problem solved. Don't worry, be happy.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:17 AM
Master Builder

Mine's stucco with acrylic paint, because we have a rainy and typhoon season. Two years and no problems. If your's has stucco its recommended to allow it to cure for 6 months before painting.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:27 AM
Master Builder

Lastly, don't waste your time with a lamp! Its an oven, cure it with fire. The recommendation is small fires, followed by progressive larger and longer firing. If you're worried about moisture in the winter, use it all winter, I do, it really knocks the chill off.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Laurentius, i like your style! Xmas Wood fired Turkey it is!
I've added an amount of Magnesium Stearate to my final mix. Its a material used to coat tablets to stop them sticking and go down easier. I was told it gives an element of waterproofing without comprmising the vapour permeability. Finished the top coat this afternoon, tightened up the render, and packed it off to bed wrapped in plastic.

Many WFO in Japan?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Apprentice

If the vermicrete is still wet, and it should be since it takes weeks to dry, the steam will most likely crack your stucco. If not worse.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

By waterproofing the outer shell at this stage, you are making it even more difficult to remove the water underneath it. You will now have to take it really slow to remove the water or you risk cracking th outer shell. If you want to waterproof it then it is better to do it when you are sure the whole thing is properly dry. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Master Builder

Hi Danno,

There are lot of WFO, here in Japan, but nearly all are without insulation or proper insulation. I talked to one guy who paid a structure engineer about $8,000 to make sure his wouldn't fall down, enclosed his dome with bricks and assumed the air within the enclosure would insulate. Another guy who owns a pizza shop, spends most of his time gathering firewood, his oven is made of massive stones, on a concrete slab, a real heat sink. I was going to teach him how to make sourdough bread, but he said, once the fire is out the oven is dead. By the way don't worry about the addition of the magnesium stearate, its only act as a lubricant, it has no waterproofing properties. Most of us know it by another name.(bathtub ring or soap scum)
Old 10-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Apprentice

hmmm, i was told to add Magnesium Stearate by a Lime supplier!
I think i'll trust their judgement. By the way that water beaded up on the surface and ran off on some other that i added it too, i think also backs up their statement. You're right in your statement thoug Laurentius.

I'm wondering why you'd get steam from the vermicrete layer? It'll have to get to 100 degrees celcius to generate it, so i'd be more worried about all the time i spent insulating the oven with blankets if its going to get that hot at the vermicrete??
You'd still not be able to touch the outer render?

Thanks for the concern tho guys, i will keep the seasoning slow going...hopefully!

Whats the worse that can happen? Another render layer?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post

Whats the worse that can happen? Another render layer?
Apart from a major dome crack....well nothing.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:54 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I'm wondering why you'd get steam from the vermicrete layer? It'll have to get to 100 degrees celcius to generate it, so i'd be more worried about all the time i spent insulating the oven with blankets if its going to get that hot at the vermicrete??
You'd still not be able to touch the outer render?
It gets hot because it's wet and there for the blanket below is wet. Water will transfer the heat and prevent the insulation doing what it's supposed to.

Once dry it would barely get warm. But as it is now it will get hot enough to generate steam.

And as it's closed inside the render it will take a lot more time to pass out the moisture than it would if not enclosed.