Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dannos Limey Build (Suffolk UK)

Hey Bookem,

Nice little combo pizza/cooking/bbq area. Has a warm feeling to it. Good job on metal craft for rain cap. I guess you really need one where you are at

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Apprentice

Hi Russell,
The rain cap would need to be several yards across really!

Don't bother with the Acid dude, your dome looks just peachy!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Laborer

Very nice!!! Very nice dome. Great work. Quick question. How did you clean up the excess mortar from the form? I am going to need to do the same and planning on using the grinder....but the dust is most likely going to be awful since the dome is fully enclosed.

Dooahhh...If I bothered to read prior posts, I would have seen how you did it. I used Heatstop 50 and am going to need more than my trowel to knock that stuff off.

Last edited by flyfisherx; 07-24-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Master Builder

Thumbs up Re: Dannos Limey Build (Suffolk UK)

Hey Danno,
That looks really cool! Perfect place for hot pie and cool beverages.
You send me the rain and i will send you my roof. I think you need it more that me. I am around the same progress on my corner build and i really like your brick work on the base and surrounding area. Keep it up and let me know when the roof gets there.
Tracy

Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Apprentice

Flyfisher...My Hydraulic Lime takes a while in its "green" stage, so i could easily cut it back with the edge of my little trowel.

I think some suitable PPE, and a grinder is the only way for you, my friend! Sorry! In the UK, we can get sorta flat, 40 grit flapped grinding cups which would be useful, perhaps?
We use them to re-dress brickwork, clean off paint and bad graffiti, etc. They fit onto a 110mm 41/2" Mini Grinder.

Diluted Muratic Acid may do it, but it'd be more of a nightmare with your head stuck in the oven and your shoulders blocking any free passage of ventilation!
whoa...nasty head rush!!!

Thanks Tracy, i'm very pround of my little outdoor kitchen, this far. Plenty more to do!
Old 08-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Apprentice

Howdy y'all...

Not much more oven stuff, but oven environment stuff been added.

The wife has lent her help over the last couple of weeks to provide a new building material for the walls. She just managed to keep up, and didn't slow me down too much! ;D

Cleared up a bit and took some more progress photos...

The view from the back door...

The garden back towards the Oven...

Beside "the area"...

Last edited by Bookemdanno; 10-08-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Apprentice

Topped off the countertops...

Wasn't gonna bother around the oven for now, but had a little spare mortar and time. I'll have to cover up when the oven layers go on! Also finished the oven landing tiled surface.

Last arty farty shot...

Thats it for now folks, just fitted the Gas BBQ in the hole opposite the oven tonight. I'm going to go for a full (ish) fire up Friday Night...wish me luck! This is for practice as saturday is my sons 6th Birthday as he'd like a few pizzas for his mates to disperse all over the bouncy castle!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Bookem,

Really like that wall with the bottle end in it (my guess) nice touch. Nice BBQ/Pizza area.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 08-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Apprentice

Had my first "do" at the weekend and as a result, rushed the oven seasoning... cracks... whoops! None penetrate into the inside, but the outside resembles a "soccerball" as you say over there. So, i'll just gouge them out a bit, and re-point. All that Co2 from the fire will only make the Lime stronger! But as for the Pizza....heck!...why bother with shop bought, Pizza Hutt, the local Kebab shop or Dominos!

I expect these are more par for the course, but most don't fire up until their domes are hidden under blankies and Vermiculite, so how would they know?
All who met the oven, or one of my mis-formed, slightly charred, sometimes overloaded little pizzas absolutley loved them. "More" they exclaimed!
A couple now want an oven for themselves, with my help.
Cheers y'all, thank you for your help!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Serf

Hi Dannos

Your oven looks great

I am just getting started to build an oven myself ( i still laying a terrace for it to go on )

I am also Bungay based would it be OK to have a quick look at your oven before I get started?

Regards Mike (blackdogantiques@gmail.com )