Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 05:18 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Dannos Limey Build (Suffolk UK)

I'm not that speedy, i was just a bit slow in setting up my build diary on here.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Apprentice

Not a great deal more has been carried out, due to wet weather.

Trimmed up the arch, for the dome transition...

Laid a few more bricks in the chains...

And got creative with my jigsaw to make a form for the last few chains. The itool was a bit slow going for me.

I've spent the evening chopping up bricks for the next few chains, so i'll hopefully be close to closing the dome, this weekend.

Last edited by Bookemdanno; 10-08-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Apprentice

Nice looking build McGarrett That is a fine arch! I wish my mortar joints were as uniform...
Old 07-04-2012, 05:28 AM
Apprentice

Moving on...

"George" provided a much swifter solution to brick laying but i didn't like the fact that i couldn't see inside, or point as i went like with the itool.
Maybe it would have been easier without the polythene i covered George in, but i couldn't risk too much water soaking into the woodwork. The old bricks are pretty thirsty. Closed the dome in an afternoon.

The final chain was tapered, and the keystone created and cut from two half bricks bonded with Hydraulic Lime Putty. This was along the principle of what the victorians used to build gauged brick lintels.

Last edited by Bookemdanno; 10-08-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 AM
Apprentice

The Keystone was finally dropped in and the larger outer joints filled and pinned with offcut wedges of brick until it was all tight. Then a little left over mortar smoothed over. 24 hours later, George was removed.

Quite messy, but the Hydraulic Lime mortar stays in the "green" stage a lot longer than Cement based mortars, which allowed most of the drool to be cut from the brick face with a pointing trowel. The head and shoulders in the oven pointing technique seemed to create a lot of fun with the kids pulling at my hairly legs!

Some of the joints became a little matched and over large, but mechanically i'm convinced it is sound. I hindsight, i'd taper cut more of the final chains. Maybe next time!

Either way, i'm very pleased with my rustic little dome and always stop for a peek! Things now move away from the oven for a while to clad the base and build some of the bbq area attached to the Oven.
texman likes this.

Last edited by Bookemdanno; 10-08-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:37 AM
Laborer

Very nice rustic looking dome! Looking good. I hope to be where you are after I get back from vacation. Nice work. How did the form work out for you for the last few rings? I am debating using this method or not.

Dave
Old 07-09-2012, 05:20 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for your kind words!

The form worked out okay really, with the only downside being you couldn't see the internal face of the bricks to clean and point. I covered the form in polythene to keep the water off the ply which compounded the issue further really. Speed wise, and for ease of bricklaying the form is the way to go. I went at it pretty "gung ho" as i was fed up with brick cutting by then but in hindsight, a little more forethought and more tapered cuts would have been nearer my level of perfection for this dome. Still pretty happy with the end result though, it fell into my "rustic" category!

Good luck with your ongoing build.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bookem,

Nothing wrong with the rustic category, I am sure the pizzas taste the same.............fun build to watch. Keep the pics coming.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 AM
Apprentice

Now...where were we...

Lots of rain here, but i've kept going where possible on areas around the oven.

Made a rain cap for the chimney flue from the front panel of one of the storage heaters, that gave up its bricks...

Just a little bit more work on the oven area, then start work on the chimney vent and entrance! I've knocked up a support for the brickwork based upon the support for the oven arch, so i'm ready to go when i can!

Last edited by Bookemdanno; 10-08-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:32 AM
Apprentice

Now...where were we...

Lots of rain here, but i've kept going where possible on areas around the oven.

Made a rain cap for the chimney flue from the front panel of one of the storage heaters, that gave up its bricks...

Just a little bit more work on the oven area, then start work on the chimney vent and entrance! I've knocked up a support for the brickwork based upon the support for the oven arch, so i'm ready to go when i can!