Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 07:11 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Danish 37" WFO build - Beginner!

Looking good! I think this is what you were saying... but you should try and make sure that the joints on successive courses don't line up. The cracks (and you will get a few cracks) like to follow long straight joint lines. It's not a big deal and not worth redoing anything.

You have a beautiful daughter! (I assume it's your daughter)

Neil
Old 08-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Laborer

Hi Neil.
Yeah I have just made 2 courses to night. Some small point I'm not to happy about. The inner arch did not line up as I would like to. It's .5 inch lower than the course that's supposed to hit it. Hmm maybe confusing and I did not take a picture of it. Doh. But I filled the very small gab with mortar. So now it's ready for the next completely full course - yay! And no1 ever gonna notice unless the climb inside the dome.

But in general I'm more than happy ..

And thanks, it is my 1,5 yo daughter :-) she is very interested. She don't know it yet, but I'm gonna buy a small electrical powered pink Barbie car so she can deliver pizza to the neighbors!
GarnerAC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Laborer

Again a constructive Day! 2 courses again. So its total 7 and soldier in 6 days.. With work and family..
However, I find it to be more and more difficult! Especially after I cut the stones to 1/3 brick, so they are more alive! But it's okay, I have still more than met my expectations I had before I started this project. And also happy if I just get an oven half as fine as many of yours

By the end of the weekend the dome should be closed and the outter arch should be in progress.

New picture in below link.

Madsen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Journeyman

you are making great progress! Those last few brick courses look perfect.

You are absolutely correct that any small errors will only be noticed by yourself. I have a lot of errors in my oven and only I know about them!

Your daughter delivering pizza would make a great picture - you'll have to post one when the time comes!
Old 08-10-2014, 11:43 PM
Laborer

Good Morning, atleast here in Denmark its morning.

Well i finished the dome, not to my complete satisfaction - especially when i see all your remarkable key stones out there. I simply could not figure out in my head how it was supposed to be cut on the brick saw. But in any case it just looks like a grenade went of right around the key stone area But its a really tight fit. Now its done, and im really REALLY happy with the final outcome of the entire dome - it exceeds my best expectations by far.

Also som rather big changes will be made from now on, instead of an igloo im going to build a house around it. The Whole patio will be having roof over it before the end of 2014, and then I will build some kind of wall of wood that is matching my shed around the Whole table, and inside this i will make 3 walls to the front in the same stone as my house is build in. I have no idea if you understand my idea, but i will try to sketch it up at some point.

But now - 1 week of air dry and by then i will have the outer arch/chimney done ! Hopefully.. NeXT weekend im quite disabled so it will have to be done by then. After that curing fire ! yay!

By the way, my fine cheap excavation tent blew of in the small local storm we had during the weekend. And its still windy outside so a new one will come up tomorrow in order to have better airflow around the dome.

New pictures on the link below -->

Old 08-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Peasant

Congratulations, it looks great.