Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Cyungle's 39'' Pompeii in Queen Creek, Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyungle View Post
I haven't quite decided what the finished product is going to look like. I like the stucco and tile work that I've seen others do but I have never done stucco or tile so I may have to experiment first. I know that I want to do something that I haven't seen done. I have a friend who is really good at gang tagging with spray paint (you may have seen some of his work on the sides of boxcars) and he volunteered his services but I don't want my WFO looking like an east LA liquor store. Still a few weeks of building before I decide.
If he's talented and you're involved in project it could be a great project, but I'm an artist and I see the glass half full. Open your mind a bit and some of those East LA liquor stores, may say something to you? Remember, One man's ceiling can be another man's floor!
Old 07-21-2013, 04:44 AM
Apprentice

Artistically Disguised Utility Boxes - A Waymarking.com Category

Try this where I live artist are allowed to paint utility boxes to disguise them I hope the link works
Old 07-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Laborer

Your build is really shaping up. I like your stand design

Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Serf

After two months of 100F+ days and monsoon humidity, the temperature has finally dropped below 100F and it's finally tolerable again to work outside. The hearth is 7 inches of reinforced concrete and a 3-inch void in the middle for the insulated vermiculite/cement mix. The slump for the concrete was a little chunky around the edges so I thinned the mix for the remainder to minimize voids.

The most surprising thing that I found during pouring of the insulated concrete phase was that the calculated volume of the void was about 3 cubic feet but it ended up requiring 6 cubic feet of vermiculite to complete the job. I could only conclude that if vermiculite is used for making insulated concrete, it compresses so you have to double the amount of vermiculite per calculated volume.

After a little over a week, the insulated concrete is firm enough to build on so hearth construction begins. The firebricks are laid out in a herringbone pattern over a very thin layer of fireclay and water mixture.
Attached Thumbnails
Cyungle's 39'' Pompeii in Queen Creek, Arizona-2013-july-pizza14.jpg   Cyungle's 39'' Pompeii in Queen Creek, Arizona-2013-july-pizza19.jpg   Cyungle's 39'' Pompeii in Queen Creek, Arizona-2013-july-pizza22.jpg   Cyungle's 39'' Pompeii in Queen Creek, Arizona-2013-july-pizza29.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013, 06:25 PM
Peasant

This one sharp looking build so far. I really wish I had done my base similar to how you have. Get cracking while the weather is cool. I can tell you it was brutal doing the majority of my build in the heat of the Phoenix summer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Serf

It has been a while since updating and I've made a lot of progress. The four images summarize the major accomplishments.

Once I got the radius tool rebuilt to center the rod on the brick rather than on top of it, all of the dome bricks lined up perfectly. I cut up lots of wedges to slide in the gaps to minimize the amount of mortar needed.

The trickiest part of the dome was working the dome into the arch. It required a lot of work from the brick saw but it turned out just fine.

Just like everyone has recommended, the exercise ball was the perfect solution to completing the top.

After completing the dome, I scooted the arch form up to complete the outer arch. I ended up squaring the top of the arch to prepare for the chimney.
Attached Thumbnails
Cyungle's 39'' Pompeii in Queen Creek, Arizona-2013-november-oven02.jpg   Cyungle's 39'' Pompeii in Queen Creek, Arizona-2013-november-oven05.jpg   Cyungle's 39'' Pompeii in Queen Creek, Arizona-2013-november-oven10.jpg   Cyungle's 39'' Pompeii in Queen Creek, Arizona-2013-november-oven14.jpg  
Old 12-23-2013, 03:19 AM
Master Builder

Looking good! Interested to follow the oven being finished. Congratulations.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics