Old 04-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Serf

Default Insulating Hearth

This weekend I got around to pouring a 2.5" perlcrete insulating hearth and tonight put down the FB Board.

My plan is to pour another layer of perlcrete under the outer arch area so I have enough FB Board to have a door fabricated figuring I don't need much insulation out there anyhow. I made the inner diameter of the oven floor 39" so I could use 2 FB boards (48" wide) under most the oven floor/dome with a good part of the 3rd under the remainder of the dome and the inner arch area.

I left the rebar sticking up since I'm going surround everything with another 3.5" pad with a rounded cantilever out about 6-8" over the firewood area. (much like Ken's Old Kentucky Dome). My neighbor got me a piece of 2x2 angle stainless (pictured) which I'll embed in the concrete so the area over the doorway doesn't sag.
Attached Thumbnails
CVB Oven Build-dsc_5713.jpg   CVB Oven Build-dsc_5721.jpg   CVB Oven Build-dsc_5722.jpg  
Old 04-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Serf

Default Re: CVB Oven Build

On 4/7 I began to start laying the oven floor and the next day after work I got 1/2 of the soldiers in place. I had cut all of the random pieces around the floor under the soldier course but my marking system failed me so I'll have to place that back in as I finish.
Attached Thumbnails
CVB Oven Build-dsc_5724.jpg  
Old 04-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Serf

This past weekend I was able to finish the soldier course and transition to the arch. Cutting those bricks was a pain on the 7" table style saw.

Took almost the whole day Sunday to cut tapers on the bricks and get the first two courses up. I'm really excited about how it's turning out.
Attached Thumbnails
CVB Oven Build-dsc_5731.jpg   CVB Oven Build-dsc_5732.jpg   CVB Oven Build-dsc_5734.jpg  
Old 04-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

CVB, Looking great so far! Only one comment, Try to stagger your joints as best you can. The bricks are stronger than are the mortar joints.

Keep it up!!

Chris
Old 04-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Serf

Chris,

Great feedback - thanks! I will be more conscious on future courses to make sure there is a good stagger between joints.

Jeff
Old 04-18-2010, 04:21 AM
Serf

Much progress made this past week. The forecast was good so I was able to take two days off on short notice and focus on completing the dome.

I kept the angle cuts going until I reached the top. Had a heck of a time figuring out how to fill the final course and ended up cutting a bunch of tapered triangles that I managed to fit.

A few brick are inside out (cut surface in) due to cutting errors, I found these hold the mortar and don't clean up as easily. I also didn't do a great job making sure the dome to arch bricks were cut short enough and you can see some of them protruding down through the arch opening. Not enough to restrict the opening, mostly cosmetic issue; If I can get my hands on an angle grinder I'll take off some of the extra
Attached Thumbnails
CVB Oven Build-dsc_5739.jpg   CVB Oven Build-dsc_5760.jpg   CVB Oven Build-dsc_5765.jpg   CVB Oven Build-dsc_5768.jpg   CVB Oven Build-dsc_5773.jpg  

Old 04-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congratulations on the dome being completed! The Arch - Dome transition is a bear and most have a fair amount of trouble here, myself included. As long as you can gething a door to fit you're good to go on, any grinding after that, is personal. When you get a bit closer to finishing the brickwork, you could run a light in the dome at night. I wouldn't do it too far out from curing, not that it would hurt, but I don't know that after a week or so of low warm that it would help either. You could also run a small fan to move air around inside the dome, the light would do this anyway.

Chris