Old 02-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Custom metal stand for WFO

I see what you are saying. I was going to have a 4 inch lip on the steel plate. I guess with your idea that would not be necessary. How hard would it be to drill the steel track into the steel sheet? I would not want screws sticking out the bottom! Would any lip on the steel plate be bad? Even a 1 inch lip? You have some great ideas. Thanks,

Scott D.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Journeyman

Construction adhesive would be more than adequate to attach steel framing channel to the steel plate, IME.
If you prefer attaching the framing with screws, self tapping metal screws would do it without too much trouble. Or drill a pilot hole and use a regular screw. It's not a big deal.
WRT "lip": If the perimeter of the frame that holds the steel sheet is angle iron, put it web down, which is to say an upside down L. This would give you a bit of fascia to hide any screws that stick down through the plate, but you could always go back and trim them flush with the bottom of the steel, too.
Consider how you intend to terminate the exterior finish (cement board), and what you'll terminate it with. That will have some effect on what shows or doesn't, too.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Laborer

Updated drawing
Attached Thumbnails
Custom metal stand for WFO-woodfired-bbq-draft-1.3-copy.jpg  
Old 03-01-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
The only issue i have is that I want to be able to screw a metal track down and build my enclosure with steel studs and cement board.
As Splatgirl said: It's a hundred times easier to create threaded holes in steel sheet than in a concrete slab. Even if tapping holes is intimidating to you, you could always drill through and use nuts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Laborer

Dmun,
Just watched a Youtube video on tapping holes. Does not seem like a big deal. Any idea on what thickness I should make my steel plate?

Scott D.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:52 PM

I would think at least quarter inch. It would depend on what the scrapyard has in the pile, If I were doing it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Journeyman

Are you fabricating this yourself? If not, just get whomever is doing the work to tap the holes for you. Easier and faster.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Laborer

Splatgirl,

That is a great idea, except I will have to know exactly where i would want the holes. If there is a glue that can be used for the tracks (metal to metal) I will probably go with that. I am having the stand made at a metal shop. Keep the ideas coming. I am still researching things and you are giving me great ideas. I want to have the stand built in the next few weeks.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Custom metal stand for WFO-woodfired-bbq-draft-1.4.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Laborer

Metal stand almost done!
Attached Thumbnails
Custom metal stand for WFO-steel-stand.jpg  
Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Serf

Looks very well made!
I want to do a similar thing to mount a Geodesic oven on. My only change (since my concrete patio may not be that smooth!) would be to put the casters as far outboard as possible. Minimizes any chance of tipping (with this much weight, that IS a concern of mine!). I also got some solid iron wheel casters to use. They each need a rating of approximately half the total weight of what they will hold.
Good luck and keep the pictures flowing! ps - add one of your structure under the table! Thanks!